looking for new mount advice

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

jjplude

looking for new mount advice

Post by jjplude »

Hello,

I went all out last year and bought a Celestron 9.25" SCG with the AVX Goto Mount. Unfortunately, the first time I took out my new scope, I managed to damage the mount. It's possible that I may be able to salvage the mount but in the times I've tried to set it up I've also realized I really don't like the tripod the mount is set on.

The legs of the tripod telescope out as you'd expect, but the locking mechanism is just a twist lock which applies pressure to the inner leg but if you don't twist it tight enough when you add the extra weight of the mount, counterweights and OTA they can collapse down. This has happened a few times when I thought I had tightened them down enough and I can say it's pretty scary to see all that equipment suddenly sinking down and having to grab it before it all crashes down. After having one disaster already, I have decided that I really need something different but I really don't know what to look for.

I've tried to look at other mounts but it's really hard to find out how the legs are secured when extended.

Does anyone have any advice on a tripod with a goto style mount for my OTA (~26lbs)?

Thank you in advance!
JJ
SEmert

Re: looking for new mount advice

Post by SEmert »

I've had my AVX's tripod slip a little, although not to the extent you have seen (but mine is the lighter 8" OTA). If you'd want to keep it, how about an inexpensive hack of using some wing nut hose clamps just below each telescoping section to provide a little more security? Something along the lines of this:https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tie-33103-16 ... 336&sr=8-6
Note, this is not an endorsement of the product; rather just the first one I found that may work.
The music stand we have at CGO to hold maps and such when using the LX200 slips and I just found a set of smaller ones at Menards and that appears to work to hold it up. Unfortunately none in that set are large enough for the Celestron tripod.

If you're looking to replace the entire GEM mount, I don't have any direct experience to add, but I can say I was really impressed with the iOptron CEM mounts both Doug and Bala had at CGO the other night (one is the CEM-26 and the other is the CEM-40).

Most tripod legs are similar to the Celestron ones, but perhaps if you're keeping the AVX but replacing only the tripod, the Oberwerk wooden tripod may work. At least it clamps the more rectangular legs so you can apply more pressure, and the wooden legs should exhibit more friction to hold firm.
https://oberwerk.com/product/custom-bui ... rwerk-usa/
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
matt_2018

Re: looking for new mount advice

Post by matt_2018 »

Are you looking to do astrophotography? Is that why you want the German equatorial mount (GEM).
I ask because that is the only reason I would want a German equatorial mount. They are a major pain for visual observation, and I much prefer the fork mount for ease of use for visual purposes.
I also have equatorial wedges for both of my fork mounted scopes. I don't need to use them for GoTo visual, but I have installed them fairly quickly and been able to use them for my crude astrophotography attempts.
Just wondering...
Matt Dunham
MAS Treasurer & member since 2018

Meade LX200RC 12-inch (my portable observatory)
Celestron SC-8" w/fork wedge (my travel scope)