Anybody looking for Leonard or Gemenids?

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
ani_101

Anybody looking for Leonard or Gemenids?

Post by ani_101 »

Hi

Was wondering if anybody managed to catch a glimpse of comet Leonard? With Gemenids also peaking, anybody planning to observe?

With all the snow and cold, this is the most reluctant time for me!

Regards
Ani
davidschaaf

Re: Anybody looking for Leonard or Gemenids?

Post by davidschaaf »

I managed to sneak a peak at Leonard on Wed Dec 8. The skies weren't very transparent, but it did clear up enough for me to locate it. However, between light pollution (Eagan) and the small size of my telescope (85mm refractor) I didn't see much detail. It was just a dim, hazy patch of light. I was happy just to find it.

I actually had better views the week before, on Nov 30 and Dec 01. The comet was probably dimmer, but the skies were much clearer on those two evenings. On Nov 30 the comet was very close to a dim star which I was able to use that as a reference point to see that the comet had moved over a 30 minute timespan.

This coming Sunday morning might be clear, but I think Leonard is getting too low to be seen in the morning sky.

-David Schaaf
ani_101

Re: Anybody looking for Leonard or Gemenids?

Post by ani_101 »

I went down to CGO to try and look for Leonard. Was supposed to rise around 6:15 or so. Was there from 5:45 am, but the eastern sky was already bright, and not much visible close to the horizon. I could make out Mars, but that was the lowest object I could see with naked eye, binoculars were not much help either. Did scan the horizon, but with nothing to anchor, no luck in finding the comet - Mars was too far. From there on other stars higher in the sky grew too dim leaving only Acturus, Vega visible at about 6:45am. Mars was mag 1.6, Leonard was mag 4.2, ideally should have been visible, both were at a similar height, but horizon was bright.

On the bright side, the CGO driveway/parking was ploughed and the roads were generally clear and good condition.