New member helpful guide

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

chowfam

New member helpful guide

Post by chowfam »

Hello,

I am starting this thread to help other new members like myself to navigate the insane amount of information that would make MAS enjoyable for newbies and beginner enthusiasts.

My 9 year old son is the reason why I joined MAS and started stargazing. He is very interested in astronomy and planets and I am trying to nurture this. He has stated he wants to be an astrophysicist astronaut detective. Don't ask me how the detective comes in to play. I have asked and he states because he wants to figure things out.

Like I stated before there is an insane amount of information and terminology which makes me feel I have gone down the rabbit hole. I have started reading stargazing for dummies. But I have questions that I hope more wise members will help answer. I am sure some members would say there are classes for beginner SIG members and that I should attend them. My response is I am a newly widowed father so attending some of the learning events is logistically hard for me as my weekends and nights are mostly full with other responsibilities and obligations. I'm sure any single parent can attest to how busy a child's schedule is at his age.

So lets dive in.

First:
I am sure newbies to stargazing and MAS would like to take advantage of the loaner program. Question is which telescope or binocular? That questions in itself produces numerous web pages, books, and youtube videos. So I am going to narrow it down and simplify my question on this topic. My son would like to be able to see planets, stars, and other night sky objects. Not just the moon. I have tried to read through the blogs on the MAS site, but once again there is way too much information to disseminate. Which telescope would you recommend for a beginner like my son and I to learn from? Given that the telescope is portable and not a huge learning curve in learning how to operate it.

Are there any books or videos that I can study that show how to find objects in the sky? The last star party I noticed a few of the seasoned watchers pulled out a book, read it for a few seconds, and they then adjusted the telescope. Voila, my son was able to see specific constellations. How did they do that? :)

Any suggestions, insight, videos, or books that will be helpful in my learning curve would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
merle

Re: New member helpful guide

Post by merle »

One astronomers opinion:
chowfam wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:35 am First:
I am sure newbies to stargazing and MAS would like to take advantage of the loaner program. Question is which telescope or binocular?
I'd start with one of the 8" dob scopes. Easy to use for first timer. Eventually using others, as variety of scopes will help determine the scope best for you. Myself, I prefer a SCT (Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope), as it is a "powerful" telescope with a compact design.
chowfam wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:35 am Are there any books or videos that I can study that show how to find objects in the sky?
Yes, but way to many to list. I like the Sky & Telescope site ( https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/sky-at-a-glance/ )
I also like the "Peterson Field Guide To Stars And Planets".

I don't think a book can really help you "find objects in the sky". A book can show you where an object is, but being able to look at the night sky and know that the Ring Nebula is between "those two stars" in Lyra, and knowing Lyra is the constellation that looks like a parallelogram (knowing what a parallelogram is), using the bright star Vega to identify the constellation, using the summer triangle to identify Vega, knowing that all this is seasonal and where things are now will change throughout the year... comes with getting out and observing. This sounds complex, but it's not.
chowfam wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:35 am Any suggestions, insight, videos, or books that will be helpful in my learning curve would be much appreciated.
First, get out and observe, even without a telescope or binoculars. You can learn the constellations, see shooting stars, the Milky Way, etc. The telescope has only been around for four hundred years, for tens of thousands of years before that the sky was observed without optical aid, still a good place to start.

I would also invite you to attend a public event, either one of the B-SIG star parties or an event at the Eagle Lake Observatory (ELO). If you're at ELO, look me up and I'll give you a quick constellation tour and introduction to the night sky.

Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
Minnesota Astronomical Society
Eagle Lake Observatory Facility Director
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
--
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
zimitsj

Post by zimitsj »

David, Welcome to the MAS.
Merle gave great advise, and you have already taken my first recommendation of tapping into the knowledge of the MAS members. You will find many willing to share their knowledge and offer recommendations based on personal experience.
Attend the public events and connect with the Beginner Special Interest Group events listed on the calendar. Attending the events will give you the opportunity for hands on experience guided by others who have all been where you are. You can check out a loaner telescope and bring it to an event for assistance using it.
Check out the Astronomical League Observing Programs. Your membership in MAS includes membership in the Astronomical League. These programs are designed for all levels of experience and offer an organized, challenging, and rewarding experience for any level of observer. I recommend the "Sky Puppy" program for your son. You may want to try "Beyond Polaris" or one of the "novice" rated programs that may interest you.
Clear skies,
John Zimitsch
MAS Vice President 2022-Present
SCT: C8 Classic
Newts: 6” f/8 and f/4.2, both homemade
Bino: 15X70 SkyMaster on a homemade p-mount
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

I agree with the advice to get out and observe. One of the best tools to get started learning the night sky is a planisphere, which can be adjusted to show the constellations visible at any time of day and year. Also, any members that you observe pulling out a book, read it for a few seconds, and then adjust the telescope, the book they have is some form of star chart, and the members are simply using it as a reference, in conjunction with the knowledge and experience they already have. Many astronomy apps can do the same thing, and there are plenty of free options that will suffice for the beginner (although the book carries less risk to your night vision).

Regarding the beginners' classes, the actual classes tend to be recorded, so you can view them later and at your leisure. But more useful would be getting out and observing, especially at either the B-SIG observing sessions or ELO Public Nights, where there is plenty of help around. And I assume that you are planning on attending some of those anyway, as they are opportunities to observe. When there, ask questions. At either one, members are there to help.

I second the Astronomical League's Observing Programs. In addition to Sky Puppy and Beyond Polaris, I would recommend the Universe Sampler and Constellation Hunter - Northern Skies. Sky Puppy, Beyond Polaris, and Universe Sampler all teach how to observe, and Constellation Hunter - Northern Skies teaches you the constellations, one of the key things you need to know while observing. I know that one of the Master Observers that MAS has produced started that journey with Universe Sampler.

As for equipment, my first suggestion doesn't apply to the loaner equipment, since they all follow the suggestion, but rather to the first equipment you purchase: don't get an equatorial mount, instead going with an alt-az mount (a Dobsonian is, by definition, an alt-az). The reason is that alt-az is simpler to learn, although it is more difficult to track the sky. Another question is either go-to/push-to or manual, and the loaner scope program has both. While learning the sky, the general recommendation is to use manual, so that you actually learn the sky and where things are located. However, that does take longer to locate things. Looking at the loaner scope fleet, Merle's suggestion of an 8 inch Dob is also mine, with the caveat that you should probably just take whatever's available that's close (10 inch Dob, for example, if all of the 8 inch Dobs are in use).
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Great advice from all so far. The planisphere is especially good to start learning to navigate the sky. Two free options along that line: Skymaps.com publishes a map monthly that is specific to that month, even showing the planets that are visible (unfortunately right now they are all in the early morning sky), and has listings of objects that can be seen with the unaided eye, with binoculars, and with a telescope. Print it out and bring it outside with a red flashlight to preserve your night vision. For a downloadable and self-printed planisphere, there is "Uncle Al's Star Wheel". The link to it as well as many other resources can be found on my posting labeled "Web links for B-SIG - and for all MAS Members!" at the top of the B-SIG forum.

Two good books for starting out are Pennington's "The Year Round Messier Marathon Field Guide" and "Turn Left at Orion" by Guy Consolmagno. Turn Left is especially written for kids, but actually is a good guide for adults as well.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
chowfam

Post by chowfam »

Thank you all for your replies and the recommendation of the programs through the Astronomical League's Observing Programs. I looked through them with my son and he is very interested in the Sky Puppy program that was recommended. I have asked the coordinator for the manual and workbook to start his journey. While reading about the sky puppy program the below portion caught my attention and brought forth some questions:

"To receive the Sky Puppy pin and certificate, copies of all documentation must be signed by a mentor and submitted with a letter stating the date-of-birth of the candidate to the Sky Puppies Observing Program Coordinator or reviewed and approved by an astronomy club officer who must then forward a letter stating that the observations have been properly completed and that the candidate meets the age requirement."

How does this work within MAS? Am I the mentor and I am the one who helps my son with all the requirements? Or do I need to find a mentor/astronomy club officer within MAS that will help my son and I through this program?

- I have requested both the 8" and 10" Dobsonian Orion SkyQuest XT as well as the 6″ Schmidt Cassegrain catadioptric telescope through the loaner program. My son and I will be attending the public star party this weekend on the 21st at ELO. Hope to get a chance to meet all of you that night.
merle

Post by merle »

chowfam wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:55 am "To receive the Sky Puppy pin and certificate, copies of all documentation must be signed by a mentor and submitted with a letter stating the date-of-birth of the candidate to the Sky Puppies Observing Program Coordinator or reviewed and approved by an astronomy club officer who must then forward a letter stating that the observations have been properly completed and that the candidate meets the age requirement."

How does this work within MAS? Am I the mentor and I am the one who helps my son with all the requirements? Or do I need to find a mentor/astronomy club officer within MAS that will help my son and I through this program?
Jerry Jones is the MAS AL Coordinator. He is listed on the MAS contacts web page.

Looking forward to seeing you at ELO.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
merle.hiltner@gmail.com