Bill Volna article

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
SEmert

Bill Volna article

Post by SEmert »

Newer members may not know Bill Volna, a long time member and associate of the MAS. Bill has an interesting history of engineering. Of greatest interest to amateur astronomers is the portable observatory he built, which was even used at the south pole for a year.

Over the years, when the MAS Amateur Telescope Making (ATM) Special Interest Group was more active, Bill hosted several meetings at his shop in Northeast Minneapolis.

I just ran across this article in the Northeaster community newspaper.

"Still solving engineering puzzles at 91 Bill Volna: Mentor, inventor, builder"
by Karen Kraco
posted on September 7, 2022
https://www.mynortheaster.com/news/stil ... r-builder/

Bill's web site is found at: https://www.volnaengineering.com/
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
setnes

Re: Bill Volna article

Post by setnes »

The article starts off by saying Bill attended a Minnesota Astronomical Society lecture when he was in middle school. If he is 91, it's hard to believe he was still in middle school when our club became the Twin Cities Astronomy Club. Clearly he attended an astronomy club lecture, but what was the state of our club at that time? Was it the 3M club, or does this even pre-date that?
petemn2004

Post by petemn2004 »

Bill Volna wrote an article about the Tardis for the June 1991 issue of Sky & Telescope magazine. Attached scans.

The astronomy club mentioned in the article must have been a precursor to the Minnesota Astronomy Society. Probably not the 3M Club.

I have some friends that were with Bill on the outing where he got very cold that prompted him to design and build the Tardis portable observatory. I believe it was at Dick Bauer's house where the Larson Telescope was housed for a period of time.

Bill and Harold Watson, owner of E & W Optical, made a trip with the Tardis to the Stellafane star party in Vermont. At Stellafane Bill gave a tour of the Tardis to Clyde Tombaugh. the discoverer of the planet Pluto.

Bill also made a trip to Astorfest near Chicago.

Mark
June 1991 Sky & Telescope Page 79
June 1991 Sky & Telescope Page 79
volna_1.jpg (224.37 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
June 1991 Sky & Telescope Page 80
June 1991 Sky & Telescope Page 80
volna_2.jpg (223.12 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
June 1991 Sky & Telescope Page 83
June 1991 Sky & Telescope Page 83
volna_4.jpg (181.65 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
Last edited by petemn2004 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Yes, I can confirm that Bill brought his Tardis to Astrofest. Here is a pic of me with it at Camp Shaw-Waw-Nas-See. I believe this was September 1987.

This is where I said that if this guy needs this to observe in Minnesota, I'll never move there! :lol:

Suresh
Attachments
Suresh With Tardis - 1987 Astrofest.jpeg
Suresh With Tardis - 1987 Astrofest.jpeg (129 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

A visit to Bill's shop many years ago was simply mind-blowing. What an amazing collection of equipment, gear, parts, tools, etc.

My favorite memory of Bill was a night at Metcalf when he brought the Tardis out. The evening was chilly, but the interior of the Tardis was toasty. Bill had a tendency to get what he called 'the nods' late in the evening, and during my session with him he fell fully asleep, leaving me in control of the Tardis. Thinking back of the combination of soft jazz from the radio, the beautiful views through the big refractor and the gentle rumble of Bill's snoring always brings a smile.

Attaching a photo of the Tardis from the 1989 Astronomy Day event, including my daughter at the age of 7 months, who just last week turned 34.
img002.jpg
img002.jpg (109.32 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Wonderful article! I thoroughly enjoyed my visits with the ATM group to his shop. His presentations at MAS meetings were my all-time favorite meetings, especially the one where he recounted his struggles with trying to build a 73-inch telescope. During the most recent transit of Mercury, my wife Helen and I were treated to a demonstration of Tardis which is set up in his driveway. What a great guy!
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
merle

Post by merle »

setnes wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:32 am The article starts off by saying Bill attended a Minnesota Astronomical Society lecture when he was in middle school. If he is 91, it's hard to believe he was still in middle school when our club became the Twin Cities Astronomy Club. Clearly he attended an astronomy club lecture, but what was the state of our club at that time? Was it the 3M club, or does this even pre-date that?
Wouldn't be the first time the media got some details wrong.

Seems more likely that should read:
"When Bill Volna was in middle school, his science teacher encouraged him and his best friend to attend a Planetarium lecture at the Minneapolis library."

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
merle

Post by merle »

Upon further review, couldn't have been the planetarium, built in 1960.

Seems there were 6 possible Minneapolis libraries built prior to 1940's Bill could have been at. Might just have to ask him directly.

As far as I know, this also pre-dates any local astronomy club I can find, certainly the TCAC or MAS. Maybe a U of M professor lecture???

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
petemn2004

Post by petemn2004 »

The May 1952 issue of Sky & Telescope Page 181 lists 3 astronomy clubs in Minnesota.

Minneapolis Astronomy Club meeting at the Public Library
Saint Paul Telescope Club
Duluth (Darling Astronomy Club)

The October 1959 issue of Sky & Telescope Page 682 lists 5 astronomy clubs in Minnesota.

There is a Minneapolis Astronomy Club listed with Science Mus., Pub Libr. (Science Museum, Public Library: I presume).

Mark
Astronomy Clubs in Minnesota 1952
Astronomy Clubs in Minnesota 1952
Page_25.jpg (232.94 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
Astronomy Clubs in Minnesota 1959
Astronomy Clubs in Minnesota 1959
Page_26.jpg (171.13 KiB) Viewed 6473 times