Questions about Eagle Lake public star party

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

skoehler

Questions about Eagle Lake public star party

Post by skoehler »

I just joined MAS, and I haven't ever been to an MAS event. I haven't had my telescope out for a long time, and I thought I would start with the star party on Saturday.

Questions:
1. I assume some people bring their scopes to the public star party, right?
2. Where do people typically set up?
3. What are the logistics regarding the gate? Do I need to plan to be finished by 10pm?

Thanks.

Steve Koehler
Steve Koehler

Obsession 18" f/4.5
kibatme

Re: Questions about Eagle Lake public star party

Post by kibatme »

Hi, Steve -- welcome to the MAS!

You are certainly welcome to bring your telescope. Depending on the crowd size and interest you may be approached by visitors with questions or requests to look through your scope, so be prepared for that.

Aside from the sidewalks and the circular plaza in front of Onan, you can set up just about anywhere. If you set up on the graveled terrace you may be less likely to interact with visitors, if that's your desire.

You can stay as long as you like, as most of us do when conditions allow. When you leave, the gate, though closed at 10pm, opens as you approach it slowly.

Hope to see you out there -- looks like it could be a decent night!
skoehler

Re: Questions about Eagle Lake public star party

Post by skoehler »

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. That answers all my questions.

Yes, the conditions look to be good. Even the temperature should be warm for the end of October.

Steve Koehler
Steve Koehler

Obsession 18" f/4.5