January B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Jan. 7th -- 1:00pm -- "Aids to Navigating the Night Sky"

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

January B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Jan. 7th -- 1:00pm -- "Aids to Navigating the Night Sky"

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The next virtual B-SIG presentation of the 2021-22 Winter season will be on Saturday January 7th, starting at 1:00pm.

Steve Emert, will be presenting "Aids to Navigating the Night Sky".

Synopsis:

"We have so many more options to navigate the sky now than when I started in this hobby twenty years ago – in the days before smartphones and when PC power was much more limited. In this January 7 Zoom meeting let’s talk about how we can use both some of the printed aids like Sky Atlas 2000 and the Mag 7 Star Atlas and PC-based aids like the freeware Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium and smartphone apps like Star Walk, SkySafari Pro and SkyPortal to plan our observing sessions and get the most out of our stargazing experience."

Steve is an experienced visual observer, and for many years has run the MAS New Member Orientation workshops. He was also on the Cherry Grove Observatory committee for many years, until just recently. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to this presentation.

To join the virtual event, click this link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85697645338?p ... 09#success

We will be open up this link about 10 minutes before the event starts.

We hope you can join us!!

Suresh Sreenivasan
MAS Beginner's Group Coordinator
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Sureshks

Re: January B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Jan. 7th -- 1:00pm -- "Aids to Navigating the Night Sky"

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

Just a reminder that our next BSIG presentation is coming up this Saturday Jan. 7th at 1:00pm.

Steve Emert will be presenting "Aids to Navigating the Night Sky".

To join the virtual event, click this link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85697645338?p ... 09#success

We will be open up this link about 10 minutes before the event starts.

We hope you can join us!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

FF2Rydia

Re: January B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Jan. 7th -- 1:00pm -- "Aids to Navigating the Night Sky"

Post by FF2Rydia »

I wasn't able to be on the presentation, but I'm watching the YouTube. I have Starry Night Pro, and I use it, and its mobile counterpart Sky Safari. The main reason that I use Starry Night is that it is what I started with back in 2006 (so it's what I'm familiar with), and Sky Safari doesn't work on Windows. Its observation logging ability, including export compatibility with Open Astronomy Log format, is another reason.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
markjob

Post by markjob »

The YouTube link to this presentation is

https://youtu.be/rvbw4F6J3kU
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Kris,

You can now add observations directly in Sky Safari 7 Pro too, and can also send sky maps to a printer over WiFi.

It's been a long time since I used Starry Night. I just have an older version. But I think the main difference is that it is a desktop program, whereas Sky Safari is strictly a phone/tablet app. I recall that Starry Night also has the ability to create comet ephemeris, and you can print maps.

They are both from Simulation Curriculum, which is based in Minnetonka.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Greetings,

I (virtually) attended the B-Sig meeting and wanted to thank everyone involved in making this happen! Special thanks to Steve for an excellent job, very much appreciated.

While I am what I call and advance beginner (been doing this for over 30 years now) I wanted to catch up on what's new in the area. I use, exclusively, Sky Safari. I use it on iPads, iPhones, and Macs (there is a desktop (Macintosh) version. Since it does everything I want without being overly complex to use, I have not looked much at what else is out there lately. Thanks for showing me!!

Clear Skies,
Kurt
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Kurt A. Casby wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:07 pm ... While I am what I call and advance beginner (been doing this for over 30 years now) ...
And I often call myself a "perennial beginner"! I look into lots of things, but never get that deep into any one of them!
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Steve did a FABULOUS job... I too learned a lot!

Thanks Steve!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm