Storage ideas

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Jessi

Storage ideas

Post by Jessi »

After going to ELO with my equipment and making 6 trips from the car to the observing spot, I figured I should just ask if there is an easier way to pack things to make unloading in 2 or 3 trips. Stackable bins or some like that? What do others do? 😊
merle

Re: Storage ideas

Post by merle »

There isn't a need to carry equipment from the parking lot. You are allowed to drive up to the observatory to unload and load your equipment. Unless it's a public star party, you can even park there during the night as long as it doesn't interfere with others bringing equipment up.

But, to answer your question, cases or storage bins to fit your equipment are a good idea too.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

I have one of these that I use for one of my equatorial mounts. It has a big flexible space, plus the tray, and some storage in the lid for small stuff. I have a feeling it might be available cheaper elsewhere, but I did buy mine many years ago.
625424D8-2F1C-4DF3-8907-814D0F4E21CC.jpeg
625424D8-2F1C-4DF3-8907-814D0F4E21CC.jpeg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-033026R- ... 4cb8dfa902

For a lot of the smaller to intermediate size accessories you need, you can use a typical tool box, much like the ones that each MAS loaner scope comes with (or did, last I knew).

Lots of folks use the typical Sterilite or Rubbermaid storage bins too. I once found a big one for about $7 at Cub that is the perfect size for my C9.25 OTA.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Great ideas! I need to get more organized since I plan on traveling to darker skies this summer.
clayton

Post by clayton »

Stanley tool box and soft eyepiece cases for me but I see people with those big plastic bins. Some people just throw all their cables in at the end of the night and untangle them at home the next day. Saves time when you are tired and ready to get off the field in the early mornings.

I like nylon cases as they seem lighter to me and give more options of where I pack them as they have softcovers that won’t scratch other things. None have wheels though and dew might get them wet if not mositure resistant.
Clayton Lindsey
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Cool! I think I'll have to go to Menards and see what they have. I think Harbor Freight has some things that might work too. 😊
zimitsj

Post by zimitsj »

All good recommendations. Situations are unique based on equipment. I use this Dewalt toolbox as my base, it is sturdy and has nice size wheels for traversing rough ground. I fill it, then use it as a two wheeled dolly, stacking more stuff on top. Use care in choosing the size of the boxes or bags. You can put a lot of stuff in a big box, but you need to get it into your vehicle. While shopping around think of what will go in which bag or box. Measure some of the larger items to help determine the sizes needed. Also get some straps to hold stuff in place as you transport it. Bungie cords are nice for lighter things but can stretch, so nylon straps may be preferable to secure those items. You don't want stuff vibrating loose while pulling across rough ground. It may take a few sessions in the field to get everything figured out. I also use a backpack.
Screenshot 2023-04-15 163820.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-15 163820.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
John Zimitsch
MAS Vice President 2022-Present
SCT: C8 Classic
Newts: 6” f/8 and f/4.2, both homemade
Bino: 15X70 SkyMaster on a homemade p-mount