Eclipse Tomorrow!

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Ron Schmit

Eclipse Tomorrow!

Post by Ron Schmit »

An absolutely gorgeous view of the Moon. Just the day before the total solar eclipse, early in the morning the fabulous moonrise was observed and captured in Exmouth, within the path of totality over the ocean:
Mohamad-Sol-r11_1681864389_lg.jpg
Mohamad-Sol-r11_1681864389_lg.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
Taken by Mohamad Sol on April 19, 2023 @ Exmouth, Australia
This eclipse begins as an annular solar eclipse, quickly transitions to a total solar eclipse, and ends as an annular solar eclipse again.
2023_04_20_HSE+regional.jpg
2023_04_20_HSE+regional.jpg (146.93 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
Ron Schmit

Re: Eclipse Tomorrow!

Post by Ron Schmit »

Here's a link to a group that is live streaming from the northwest corner of Australia:

https://www.timeanddate.com/live/eclips ... 3-april-20
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

NICE shots from Paul Maley
maley_strip.jpg
maley_strip.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 7016 times
and from Eliot Herman
eliot_strip.jpg
eliot_strip.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 7016 times
on an island off the coast of Australia.
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

If you want to catch the coverage, it's right here:

https://www.youtube.com/live/ifILl7GeZpE?feature=share

Kinda weird coverage, though. The hosts are just padding off and on during the partial phase. They don't sound like they've done many eclipses. And then, when things start getting REALLY interesting, they're gone! The hosts leave at 2:12. Totality hits at 2:20 and we just get some space muzak through the whole thing until they come back at 2:33. Then they're off again and disappear until 23 minutes after the eclipse. They should have just skipped the TV studio and had microphones on outside. Would have made it much more exciting. I have some audio of the eclipse in 1998 and it still gives me chills just hearing it.
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

My wife Helen and I are on an eclipse cruise promoted by Sky & Telescope and Insight Cruises. We saw the eclipse and it was SPECTACULAR! The prominences were enormous. No image could do justice to it. The weather off Exmouth was perfect. We also saw the beautiful thumbnail moonrise, and also hope to catch the slim crescent moonset tonight. Last evening I saw the "green flash" as the Sun disappeared below the Indian Ocean. I wouldn't call it a flash, more like the edge of the Sun was green during the final 5 seconds or so of visibility. To top it all off, we saw a spectacular green fireball the same evening. Also some wonderful views of the southern sky, Magellanic clouds, Eta Carinae nebula, etc. What a trip!
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

FANTASTIC, Dick! What a great report!!

Speaking of Eta Car, I went to a presentation at the UofM on Monday. Director of the Vatican Observatory, Br. Guy Consolmagno, S.J., was talking about the joys of star gazing. I asked him, "What was your best night ever at a telescope?" Here was his answer:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxWl5E9bYLGY ... EBBaqgjb6U

He's not kidding!! It is A*mazing!!
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

This is a shot of the Earth from the ispace HAKUTO-R Mission 1.

If you look closely, you can see the shadow of the Moon on the Earth. This was taken during the eclipse!
ispace Earth Shot.png
ispace Earth Shot.png (867.66 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Ron Schmit wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:30 pm FANTASTIC, Dick! What a great report!!

Speaking of Eta Car, I went to a presentation at the UofM on Monday. Director of the Vatican Observatory, Br. Guy Consolmagno, S.J., was talking about the joys of star gazing. I asked him, "What was your best night ever at a telescope?" Here was his answer:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxWl5E9bYLGY ... EBBaqgjb6U

He's not kidding!! It is A*mazing!!
His description of Eta Car as "Orion Nebula on steroids" is perfect. All I had with me was 15x45 image stabilized binoculars, but it was beautiful!
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention