Collimation

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Jessi

Collimation

Post by Jessi »

I have a Celestron Powerseeker 114 eq that I decided to try out my new laser collimator on. I've had the scope for 3 Years and have only used a collimation cap on before. Anyway, today I noticed the secondary mirror was off. When I went to make adjustments, I discovered that the adjustment screws were all loose. Now what? I'm guessing that the adjustment screws shouldn't be loose and the mirror should be secure. I found the mirror again when looking through the focuser...that's a good thing I guess. 😀

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sureshks

Re: Collimation

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Jesse,

Yes, those screws should be tightened. Or at least, they should be secure enough that the secondary mirror isn't moving and stays in alignment.

If you bring it to the next BSIG event on July 8th, we can take a look at it and try to fix the problem. :D

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Hi Jessi, What is the focal length and the physical tube length of your Powerseeker? Just asking to verify if it is a standard Newtonian or is it a Jones-Bird Newtonian. If the focal length is way too long, like double the physical length of the tube, it is a Jones-Bird. Another sure thing to verify the type is to look in the focuser tube and see if there is a lens inside there. If the focal length somewhat matches the physical length, it's a standard Newtonian.

If it's a standard Newtonian, good news. Suresh is right that we can easily fix it at the next BSIG observing event, or you could bring it to the MAS meeting and we can easily fix it there.

If you want to continue before then, if you're seeing all the three secondary collimation screws are loose, it means that actually the center screw is loose. That one is the pivot point that levers against the three collimation screws. It mainly is used to center the secondary mirror directly under the focuser. So, look down the focuser, make sure the secondary appears pretty well lined up under it, and that it appears "round" (rotated properly), and tighten it up a bit which should tighten the collimation screws. If it is no longer centered up and down along the length of the tube, you'd then want to loosen it a bit, turn all three collimation screws in or out equally to get it centered radially, then be sure it is snug, and then you can collimate with the three collimation screws individually. But hopefully you don't have to get that far.

If there is a lens inside the focuser tube, it is a Jones-Bird Newtonian and it gets more complicated, and you'd really have to have one of us that has done it before collimate it.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

The focal length is 900 mm f/8. I also have a Jones-Bird too, but that headache is stored away for now. I will bring it to the next meeting. I'm not sure if I will make it to the next BSIG.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Ok, I'll try to remember to bring my sight tube and laser collimator and screwdriver and allen wrenches to the meeting.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Thanks! I can bring my tool bag too...make sure I have what I need. 😀
BradNasset

Post by BradNasset »

Here is a diagram I made for someone awhile back. You may know this, but might help to visualize
Visualizing Collimation of Newtonian.pdf
Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Nasset
ELO, CGO Keyholder
Celestron Edge HD 8 inch, CGEM mount, with HyperStar system
Celestron C8 (Classic 1975 orange-tube), RA drive, equatorial wedge
Celestron 5 inch truss tube Newtonian, “Astronomers Without Borders” scope
3-D Printed 114/900 Reflector- homemade by me
Celestron 15x70 binocs, Homemade parallelogram binocs mount
Meade 10x52 binocs
Vixen 2.1 x 42 Binocs