Jupiter opposition

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

Kpierce655

Jupiter opposition

Post by Kpierce655 »

Hi all!
I wasn’t sure where to post this topic but here goes. I see that Jupiter will be in full opposition Nov. 2-3. I know there is a star party on the 4th but is anyone thinking of viewing Jupiter on Thursday, Nov. 2nd? I don’t feel confident in running the 14” Celestron yet.
Thank you!
Kevin Pierce

StarSeeker IV 130mm GoTo Reflector
ELO Keyholder
FF2Rydia

Re: Jupiter opposition

Post by FF2Rydia »

Kpierce655 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:54 pm I wasn’t sure where to post this topic but here goes.
This forum or the ELO Discussions forum would be the ones for it. I'm not sure myself which of those two is the better choice.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
merle

Post by merle »

Kevin,

Unless there's a specific Jupiter event on the 2nd, there will be virtually no perceptible difference between Jupiter on the 2nd or 4th.

That said, there is an Io shadow transit on the morning of Nov. 3, beginning about 4:30 am that has the moon eclipsing its own shadow.

-
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 4.10.36 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Kpierce655

Post by Kpierce655 »

Thank you Merle. Unfortunately, I’ll be out of town that weekend. I saw Jupiter in opposition last year with my 130mm so I was hoping to get a better view with the Celestron. Maybe next year.😊
Very cool to see Io’s shadow.
Kevin Pierce

StarSeeker IV 130mm GoTo Reflector
ELO Keyholder