New Member and Nov 4 ELO Star Party

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

ScottF

New Member and Nov 4 ELO Star Party

Post by ScottF »

My wife and I drove down for the ELO star party tonight (Nov 4), and had a very fun time observing Saturn, Jupiter, stars clusters.. Seeing Saturn was particularly rewarding because the last time I looked through a telescope at Saturn was in 1965. So, seeing Saturn was worth the drive by itself.

Wow, lots of people there. I chatted up the volunteers when I could, asking about the mirror size of the scopes I was looking through, talking about gazing in the Twin Cities, some astrophotography. On the way out I chatted with Carter (Hanson?) who had his own Meade LX-90 set up to look at stars. I apologized for bugging him but we was very gracious and let me look through his scope.

We got there right at 7 PM, big crowd, clear skies, long lines for viewing Saturn and Jupiter. By the time we left, clouds had moved in, and the lines were even longer. I decided then and there to take the next step and join the club. Just PayPal'd the membership fee. Thanks to the folks who put on the event tonight.
DougSch

Re: New Member and Nov 4 ELO Star Party

Post by DougSch »

Welcome to MAS Scott.

It was a pleasure talking with you last night.

We had clear skies, long lines and a great group of volunteers. It was a really nice way to close out the public star party season at ELO.
Doug Scheurich

Eagle Lake Observatory Committee Chairman.
Cherry Grove Keyholder.
LLCC Keyholder.