First Time out With Club Loaner Scope - Success

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

ScottF

First Time out With Club Loaner Scope - Success

Post by ScottF »

Tonight I had a wonderful time setting up and using a club loaner NexStar8SE on the patio in White Bear lake. Yes, plenty of light pollution and some whispy clouds, but I found the moon :D

The 8SE was incredibly easy to set up. I was initially worried that I had picked out a far too complicated scope for the first time out but it turned out to be a good experience. I had read the instruction manual first, watched several YouTube videos on set up and use, so the set up was fairly smooth for a first timer. I had loaded the Celestron SkyPortal onto my cell phone, and used it to identify and name some bright stars in the sky, and enter them into the two star alignment. I had also previously aligned the spotter scope during the way, spotting a cell phone tower on the other side of the lake, so the alignment was pretty close.

After alignment, I set the controller to find the Moon, which it did. After some fumbling with learning the focus method, the moon came into crystal clear view. I was reminded of the Outer Limits TV series introduction when the photo of the moon was fuzzy, and then came into sharp focus, plus all the creepy music in the background.
""""There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: There is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to...The Outer Limits."""""

I also figured out how to implement the moon attenuation filter. That was a big relief to my eyes.

I spent some time viewing the moon and craters, then took a look at Jupiter. It sure was smaller sized in the viewer than I expected.

I have a couple of questions.
1. My hands were freezing cold, and I only came in because I couldn't stand it anymore. What do you winter viewers use to keep hands warm? I'm thinking of digging out my old ice fishing gloves that glove the hand but present the fingers, and put a hand warmer packet in each one. I found that regular gloves are too clunky for pushing buttons on the controller or manipulating lenses.
2. I used a 25mm Plossl lens for planet viewing. Is that what I should be using?
3. I tried the Barlow lens. I put it in the diagonal, secured it with the thumb screws, then put the 25mm Plossl lens into the Bartlow. Is that how it's supposed to work? I didn't see any thumbscrews on the Barlow, so the Plossl was sort of loose in there. That doesn't seem right.
4. I don't know anything about telescope magnification or the different Plossl lenses yet, so I need to go online and learn about them. I looked at the 25mm Plossl and the 6.something Plossl and see the openings are different, so the 25 or 6 is defining the size of the viewer. I still need to learn about magnification.
All in all, it was a wonderful evening viewing the skies. After this viewing, it's clear to me just how little I know about astronomy. Scott F
SreedharD

Re: First Time out With Club Loaner Scope - Success

Post by SreedharD »

Hello Scott, Good Morning, Mee too a new bee into this amazing world, I got my 8SE week ago, I had difficulty in aligning my finder with telescope. It took a while once i finally got it aligned, i was able to align to stars and operate the telescope to desired objects, and look through the eye piece.
Yes cold weather is numbing my fingers, there got to be some way, and i am assuming it via computer control, the hand controller connects to computer and the app is amazing, Also need a view camera for the telescope to be connected to computer, so you can control the Telescope and camera both sitting cozy warm place. Unfortunately i could not get here, as my mac does not support any of those applications. I have to wait.
But excited to explore. Winter is good as we can get a lot of night sky, also kills us with cold.

Thanks will keep sharing.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

ScottF wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:28 pmI have a couple of questions.
1. My hands were freezing cold, and I only came in because I couldn't stand it anymore. What do you winter viewers use to keep hands warm? I'm thinking of digging out my old ice fishing gloves that glove the hand but present the fingers, and put a hand warmer packet in each one. I found that regular gloves are too clunky for pushing buttons on the controller or manipulating lenses.
2. I used a 25mm Plossl lens for planet viewing. Is that what I should be using?
3. I tried the Barlow lens. I put it in the diagonal, secured it with the thumb screws, then put the 25mm Plossl lens into the Bartlow. Is that how it's supposed to work? I didn't see any thumbscrews on the Barlow, so the Plossl was sort of loose in there. That doesn't seem right.
4. I don't know anything about telescope magnification or the different Plossl lenses yet, so I need to go online and learn about them. I looked at the 25mm Plossl and the 6.something Plossl and see the openings are different, so the 25 or 6 is defining the size of the viewer. I still need to learn about magnification.
1. The gloves with cut off fingers plus hand warmer is a good idea. A lot of us have knit gloves with cut off fingers and mitten covers that fold down over the fingers to keep them warm when not actively using your fingers.
2. Planets are bright but small. A 25mm Plossl gives a lower magnification view. Magnification is determined by dividing the focal length of the telescope in millimeters by the focal length of the eyepiece in millimeters. So, for example, if it's a 1000 mm focal length scope with a 25 mm eyepiece, the magnfication is 1000 / 25 = 40x or if you used a 10 mm eyepiece it would be 1000 / 10 = 100x. Or you could use a Barlow lens to effectively reduce the focal length of the eyepiece. With a 2x Barlow, the 25 mm eyepiece would be 25/2=12.5, so 1000/12.5= 80x and you would enjoy the larger eye lens and longer eye relief of the larger 25mm Plossl, and the image of the planet would be larger.
3. The order to put everything together is, a) diagonal in the back of the scope, b) the Barlow in the end of the diagnoal, c) the eyepiece in the Barlow. There should be a thumbscrew on the top end of the Barlow to secure the eyepiece in it. If it is missing, we need to replace it.
4. Magnification, see 2 above. Also, true or actual field of view changes with magnification. Actual field of view is determined by the apparent field of view of the eyepiece (50 degrees for Plossl, specified by eyepiece manufacturer for proprietary designs) divided by the magnfication. So, with a 25mm plossl on the same theoretical 1000 mm focal length scope, actual field of view would be 50 / 40 = 1.25 degrees which would give a good view of the Andromeda Galaxy or M13, the Double Cluster, etc. Planets and smaller objects like M57 can use a higher magnification and a smaller actual field of view.

In general both the eye lens size and the eye relief (distance between the eye lens and your eye) gets smaller with the shorter focal length. For that reason, it may be more enjoyable using a 25mm Plossl with a 2x Barlow than using a 12.5mm Plossl eyepiece directly for the same magnification and actual field of view.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

Hi Sreedhar, Thanks for your message, and congratulations on your new 8SE! How exciting it must be to own your first scope. Everything I've read so far says the 8SE is a fabulous scope and can be a scope to last your whole life of viewing. Like you, the initial focusing on stars was the most difficult because I didn't know what I was doing. I turned the focus control from end to end before being rewarded with a sharp focus on the moon.

Your idea of getting the WIFI adapter and controlling the scope from the warmth of the house is a good idea in winter! Good luck with your viewing! Scott
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

Thanks Steve for your comments.
1. Yeah those gloves are for ice fishing and have a cover that goes over the fingers, that can be flipped back out of the way for when you need some precise grabbing. I think those plus a set of small hand warmers will do the trick. I used to set up my ice sailboat with those.
2. This is a good explanation, and you've kept is simple enough for me to understand. I will experiment tomorrow night with the various lenses and the Barlow now that I understand how the magnification works.
3.Hmm, I'll take a close look at the Barlow lens to see the screw threads. There is an extra thumb screw in a bag in the lens case. It might be the one for the Barlow lens.
4. I understand now. I will be using the smaller focal length eyepieces on the planets next. I think the smallest in the bag is a 6.25 or thereabouts. Somehow I get the feeling that stacking the Barlow lens and a 6.25mm Plossl will yield some bad viewing thing as I crank up the viewing gain to maximum.. I haven't seen any galaxies or Messier objects yet due to light pollution.

I'm just starting to get a feel for eye relief, and it will take some experimenting to find out what looks good and works for my eye. It's part of the fun adventure. I plan to get out for some dark sky viewing tomorrow night if the clouds cooperate. Thanks again Steve, Scott
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

Andromeda can be seen pretty easily from White Bear Lake.

On another note, when it comes to figuring out what to view, of course there are the Observing Programs that the Astronomical League offers, but another resource that I find helpful is Objects in the Heavens by Peter Birren.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

Thanks Kris for the info on figuring out what to view! Antone mentioned an Astronomy League program viewing programs. I appreciate hearing about the viewing programs of Objects in the Heavens by Peter Birren. As I am a beginner, this is all new to me so I appreciate hearing about them! Thanks. Scott