Where to buy...?

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

rallen911

Where to buy...?

Post by rallen911 »

When I start buying into this horrible affliction, are there places in the Twin Cities where I can see most things in person or do I have to go online to find most things?

- rallen911 -
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

Radio City in Mounds View offers lots of accessories and some scopes, too. Dan Fish is the owner. He does not offer a large stock of telescopes, but he can also order them for you if he doesn't have them in stock. They're on old highway 10 and County Road I.

You could also try Telescopes.com. You can pick up whatever's offered on their website (and thus save on shipping) at http://www.telescopes.com. I stopped in and talked with them briefly when I was in Duluth last September, just before they moved from their downtown storefront to a more spacious venue in Proctor. Nice folks, and they have quite a large stock of stuff ... if you don't mind the two-hour drive.
Eagle Lake Observatory Keyholder
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

You could also check out the main National Camera Exchange store in Golden Valley. They have a good selection of binoculars and several telescopes on display.
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

You could also post here what you are interested in, and see if other members of MAS have one. From there you could connect with the person at a star party or other viewing opportunity and actually try it out in the field!
Jon Hickman
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks for all of the ideas. I really do like to see something before I buy it. It's kind of hard to do that on the Internet. The reviews from people help, but there is nothing like using something for yourself.

Even better if I can pick up something used for a bit less and try before I buy! :)

I guess I'll get my first chance at the BSIG next Friday. Matt said he would probably bring his Orion XT8. I am pretty sure that is what I want, but I want to see one in action. Those Meade Light Bridges look nice too, though... I can't decide...

Thanks again,

- rallen911 -
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Guess I'll have to bring my new 10" LightBridge if I come, then!
Jon Hickman
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Ooooooohhh Boy! :D
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

radio city occasionaly holds testing nights for their astronomy equipment.

Also barnes and noble and probably borders will have starcharts and probably mike lynch's book as well.
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Speaking of Mike Lynch...

I just signed my son and I up for a community education event that he is hosting. We live in ISD 196, and it is going to be at Red Pine in Eagan on Feb 6th.

It looks like there are lots of spots still ( not that anyone here needs to go to something like this... ).

- rallen911 -
Chautauqua

Sarge! 'Zat you?

Post by Chautauqua »

I gotta ask: Is that Sergeant Rock? I used to read a lot of comic books, and darned if he doesn't look familiar!
Glenn Lee
Northfield, MN

Orion 20 X 80 mm binoculars and a
well-practiced squint.
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

You better believe it is!!

I didn't read a lot of comics, but I sure did like the Sgt. Rock series. I also use that name when I play WW II games online.

- rallen911 -