Telrad finder - useful?

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

MinnDon

Telrad finder - useful?

Post by MinnDon »

My buddy out in Arizona suggested that I get a Telrad finder. Looks like a cool accessory from what I've read on the web, especially in light of my ignorance, so far, of particular stars and constellations. Any one have good or bad to say about this gadget, or if there's something comparable out there that's maybe more useful? It's not very expensive, less than $40, but hate to put any more money into this hobby right now, unless it's a really cool, functional item.

TIA for any opinions.

Don
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Don:

Personally, I always preferred a finder scope, but many people far prefer the Telrad.

I never understood why until I got to some much darker skies than I normally view from. Suddenly the number of stars in my finder scope left me total baffled as to which way I was looking!

My newest scope came with a laser finder, which I'm finding quite useful...and I'm thinking that I may actually mount the Telrad that was included with my SCT on my LX200GPS... Hard to go wrong for $35!
Jon Hickman
mlfj4901

Post by mlfj4901 »

Greetings,

Before purchasing the Telrad, take a look at the Rigel. Very similar to the Telrad, but the base is smaller and the display a bit higher off of the scope.

For my Dob the Telrad is perfect. For your C-11, I have no idea.

-matt
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Yes! Definitely get one. I have a Rigel on my 5" Newt, a Telrad on the 12" Dob.

The Rigel is nice in that it is more compact and has a variable blink rate, and stands up off the tube more. My Telrad is an older one without a blinker. Seems for some reason the Telrad is more accurate (bullseye doesn't shift as much when you move your head from side to side), and it's nice that it uses regular batteries rather than the button battery on the Rigel.

But whichever one you get, it really helps out - especially when compared to the little 6x30 finder that comes with most scopes.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

My 14" scope came equipped with a Telrad, but I got rid of it. In areas of the sky with few bright stars, it's too hard to get an accurate position. I tore apart a pair of 10x50 binoculars and now have an erect image straight through finder that works better than anything on the market (in my humble opinion). William Optics sells a 7x50 erect image straight through finder, see http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/pr ... tures0.htm. I don't know if there are others currently on the market.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I'd say a telrad AND a finder are both useful for different reasons. I love my telrad. The rigel is good for people with really limited space on their OTA but I'm guessing that isn't a probelm for you.

A telrad get's you pointing in the right region, hopefully very close and then a magnifying finder gets you even closer to the target.

~Kirk
MinnDon

Post by MinnDon »

Kirk wrote:I'd say a telrad AND a finder are both useful for different reasons. I love my telrad. The rigel is good for people with really limited space on their OTA but I'm guessing that isn't a probelm for you.

A telrad get's you pointing in the right region, hopefully very close and then a magnifying finder gets you even closer to the target.

~Kirk
Yep, that's what I was hoping for - coarse with the Telrad or Nigel, finer with the finder scope, and then the "money" shot. Kind of leaning toward the Telrad though I like the "head room" of the Rigel. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Thanks guys, you've been a help!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I'd try to use both in action before you decide on either.

~Kirk
Bill Bynum

Post by Bill Bynum »

A lot depends on how your brain works, and how you are comfortable getting around the sky with your telescope.

When I can, I use both a unit power finder (Telrad, Rigel and the like) AND a correct image magnifying finder. The Telrad gets you close, and the mag finder puts you right on the money.

If I am restricted to just one - it's the unit power finder every time.

Your mileage may vary.
Bill Bynum