I'm Hooked!!

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

rallen911

I'm Hooked!!

Post by rallen911 »

Last night my son and I attended an astronomy talk/view session put on by Mike Lynch ( WCCO weather man ). We missed the first half, but the last hour was good.

Right when we showed up, he had 2 scopes set up. One on Saturn and the other on the moon. Saturn was spectacular!! It was my first time ever viewing through a telescope, and I was very excited to see it hanging there in space. Just like the pictures ( except a little smaller :) ).

My son and I both had a great time, and we can't wait for our XT-8 to arrive in a week or so.
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!
MinnDon

Post by MinnDon »

Mr. Lynch must be doing the rounds. My wife and I are going to a similar event in Mound tonight with Mike Lynch as the host. Glad to hear it was enjoyable, except you probably had better skies last nigth than we'll have tonight. :cry:
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

It was a little cloudy to the sw and w, but we could see Orion, Saturn, and even the double cluster in Perseus.

I had been happy looking through my binocs, but I'm not so sure now that I've looked through a nice telescope. The stars were pin points in the scope where in my binocs they are more smudges. Maybe I've got a problem with them.

The Orion Nebula was really nice too. I've seen the pictures and what not, but compared my binocs ( 20x80 ) It was completely different.

WOW!!! :shock:
- rallen911

Mark Saltzman

Post by Mark Saltzman »

Rallen 911; On behalf of the Minnesota Astronomical Society, I welcome you.

Mark S.S.
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks a lot. I haven't officially joined yet, but I need to fill out my form and send it in.

Also...

Scope update...

My scope should be arriving within the next few days, so you should all be expecting cloudier than normal conditions!!
- rallen911