w00t!!!

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

rallen911

w00t!!!

Post by rallen911 »

It finally came! It's been 4 long weeks, but it finally came.

I distinctly remember warning everyone that the clouds would come, and they didn't disappoint ! :evil:

I posted a pic in the alblum here:
http://www.mnastro.org/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=231

I can't wait to use it! :D
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Congrats!

Looks like a beauty!

Clear Skies,

Kurt
(the perpetual beginner)
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Ok... time to eat a little crow. :oops:

I didn't bother looking outside before cursing the clouds. They have magically gone!! I will be outside in a few minutes.

w00t! :D
- rallen911

rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Also,

Thanks Kurt!
- rallen911

rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Well, I had a pretty short, but successful, first outing.

Fist I focused in on the Orion Nebula (M42 I believe), and I had a heck of a time with the finder scope. I ended up trolling with my 25mm eyepiece and then adjusting the finder scope after I found it. It looked pretty good even with the neighbor's front lights beaming into my eyes.

Then I moved to Saturn. With the finder scope somewhat adjusted, I was able to find it pretty easily. Wow!! :shock: It was just what I was hoping for nice and clear and I could make out the rings and some of the different colors. I was actually able to get my wife to stop watching skating ( as long as it wasn't Sasha ) to come out and take a peek. She even said "Wow", and it was a genuine wow, as well.

I saw the clouds rolling in, so I took a quick look at Sirius. I didn't get a long look, but it was pretty.

I can't wait to spend a bunch more time outside now!

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and information about telescopes and everything else. I had a wonderful first encounter!
- rallen911

Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Rallen:

Congratulations on an outstanding scope! Sounds like you had a great first night out.

And, officially from what I read on the other topic, Welcome to the MAS. It is great to have you as a member!
Jon Hickman
Dave Olmstead

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Hey, that's great! Welcome and congrats on the new scope! You do know, you must know now, that the disease is with you? welcome to the affliction:-)

Dave
David Olmstead
One of the Scope Wranglers
david@davidolmstead.com
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks for the welcome!

I think it's only going to get worse from here. I laid in bed for an hour looking at the Orion catalog that came in the scope packaging. There were a lot of things in there that looked interesting...

What should I get next? I didn't see anything to add motor control, but how hard could it be? That sounds like a good project. Now I just need some time to actually do it...
- rallen911

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

The trick with motors is that your scope is on the wrong kind of mount. To really track objects you need an equitorial mount and dobs have an alt-az mount. You can get around this by putting a dob on an equitorial platform.

Here are directions on how to build you own.
ttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/the_equatorial_platform.htm

You can also buy them but they are expensive. This compact one is $925!
http://www.equatorialplatforms.com/compact.htm

~Kirk
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks for the info Kurt!

That first link didn't seem to go anywhere.

I don't think I will be buying one anytime soon. I was just thinking that a hand controller would be a little more precise than me overshooting in every direction everytime I make an adjustment!

We'll see if I actually pursue anything.
- rallen911

rcobian

Post by rcobian »

The cheapest I've seen for an equatorial platform is ~$500.
http://www.roundtableplatforms.com/

There is also the Dobdriver II which is under $1000
http://homepages.accnorwalk.com/tddi/tech2000/

On the other end of the spectrum, ServoCat is probably the best goto and track system for a dob.
http://www.stellarcat.biz/

Also, there is an equatorial platform group on yahoo that may have some good info for building your own.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eqplatforms/
Ryan Cobian
New Brighton, MN
Chris White

Post by Chris White »

rallen911 wrote:Thanks for the info Kurt!

The 'h' was clipped off try;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/th ... atform.htm

-----

Also, take a peek at the yahoo group roboscope, it's mostly related to roboscoping GEM type mounts but, their is some stuff on dob's(robodob) and some of the information is relevant to dobs (motor's, gears, part sources, controllers, etc).
---------
Chris White
Chris White

Post by Chris White »

JakeBlaster wrote:
rallen911 wrote:Thanks for the info Kurt!

The 'h' was clipped off try;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/th ... atform.htm

-----

Also, take a peek at the yahoo group roboscope, it's mostly related to roboscoping GEM type mounts but, their is some stuff on dob's(robodob) and some of the information is relevant to dobs (motor's, gears, part sources, controllers, etc).
Actually scratch that(roboscope), looks like the eqplatforms group is the place to go.
---------
Chris White
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks Chris!

I was just wondering... Does your head ever feel like it's going to explode? You are so full of information, that it's likely that it might!
- rallen911

Chris White

Post by Chris White »

Yeah, it does feel that way, sometimes it leaks a little but, no explosions. I suffer from a condition called 'Supercell Deprivation Syndrome' or SDS for short and Astronomy is my current outlet. Reading thru dozens of websites a day helps, packing/unpacking a car for half an hour and driving an hour or two to a star party also helps out. As we move into storm season I will be significantly less knowledgeable for a while but, expect to still show up for events unless a severe weather event is likely to happen in within 240 miles or so.

Shoot I forgot about the meeting!
---------
Chris White
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

My head is full of information too, but I lost the index.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
MinnDon

Post by MinnDon »

rbubany wrote:My head is full of information too, but I lost the index.
Yep, know that feeling. Gotta tell the wife if she has a question for me, ask 24 hours in advance,... may take that long for the 'ole hard drive (much in need of a defrag) to find the info.

To quote Paul Simon:
When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of edu---cation
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

rallen911 wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

I think it's only going to get worse from here. I laid in bed for an hour looking at the Orion catalog that came in the scope packaging. There were a lot of things in there that looked interesting...

What should I get next? I didn't see anything to add motor control, but how hard could it be? That sounds like a good project. Now I just need some time to actually do it...
I don't know what you already have, but based on my experience with the MAS's two loaner 8" Skyquest Dobs, I'd recommend two things for starters:
1. Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder
2. Orion Deluxe Laser Collimator
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks Dean!

I've been thinking about getting a Telrad for sure, and as for the collimator, that sounds good too.

I was surprised that I didn't get some kind of special eyepiece with the scope. Or possibly I haven't recognized it yet. I plan on collimating it before I use it again.
- rallen911

Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

I think Orion supplies a "collimation cap" with those scopes, which is just a plug for the focuser with a hole in the middle and a reflective surface on the inside. It is the absolute minimum collimation tool. If you don't have one, you can make one out of an old film can cap with aluminum foil on the inside. You might have put the cap on the can, but cut the bottom off the can so it acts as the "barrel" of the eyepiece. The next step up would be a Cheshire eyepiece, then the lasers.

For me personally, the non-laser collimation methods are just too frustrating. Collimation is something that really needs to be done at least every time you transport the scope somewhere, and the laser makes it something you can do quick and easy, rather than something you skip because it's a pain. The Orion Deluxe model allows you to see the laser spot when you are at the back of the scope turning the primary adjustment screws. This makes it so much easier than going back and forth from back to front.

The very first step of collimation, making sure the secondary is properly placed under the focuser, still needs to be done with something like the collimation cap or Cheshire, but I would hope it came from Orion in the correct place, so you should be able to go to the laser after a quick check that the secondary is in the right place. If the stars don't look round after laser collimation (and full cool-down) then it would be time to start from the beginning.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
rcobian

Post by rcobian »

I also have the orion deluxe laser collimator. I agree it makes collimating much easier, especially in the dark. There is a really nice movie showing how to collimate using both methods here
http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html
that I highly recommend to anyone confused about collimating.

Using a laser is the most accurate way to align the secondary tilt. However, when it comes to aligning the primary tilt, the collimation cap provided with the scope is actually more accurate. The nice thing about the orion deluxe laser collimator is that it can be used with a barlow lense to greatly increase it's accuracy in aligning the primary. And you can still do the alignment from the back of the telescope without running back and forth from the focuser. The barlowed laser technique is regarded as one of the most accurate ways to collimate the primary. See details on how to use the deluxe laser collimator as a barlowed laser here
http://www.smartavtweaks.com/RVBL.html
Ryan Cobian
New Brighton, MN
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks for all of the great information.

I do remember seeing that cap with the hole in it and the reflective surface. I didn't know what it was, so I put it in the box. I never throw anything away until I'm sure I won't need it and don't want it.

I will have to get out my instruction book and thumb through it. I was too excited to get out and take a peek to actually read the instructions!

It's been a week or so since I used the scope. I had to move it to the basement ( wife didn't want it in the living room ), and then I hurt my ankle. I can't really carry much up and down stairs right now, but it should only be a couple more days before I can get it out again.

Here's a dumb question: Do I have to be pointing the scope at anything in particular to collimate it? Like I said, I haven't read the manual yet, so maybe I should start there and let everyone save typing time.

Thanks again!
- rallen911

rcobian

Post by rcobian »

I would point it at a fairly low elevation. If something goes wrong you don't want the secondary mirror to accidentally fall off and hit the primary mirror. With the collimation cap a brightly lit wall or an area of the sky away from the sun work well. In the dark I shine a redlight flashlight down the tube so I can see the center mark. The first time you collimate you'll want to do it during the day. It's realitively straight forward, but can be difficult to figure out on your own, especially in the dark.
Ryan Cobian
New Brighton, MN
Bill Bynum

Post by Bill Bynum »

For laser (or cheshire) collimation you don't have to be pointing at anything. Tilting the tube is also useful if your secondary mirror needs a tool to adjust. That way when you drop the tool, it slides down the side of the tube instead of falling directly onto your mirror.

You do point at something when you are doing star collimation. If you defocus on a star in the eyepiece, you will see a dark spot in the defocused image. That is the shadow of your secondary mirror. The shadow should be in the exact "bull's eye" of the defocused diffraction rings of the star. It is a LOT more sensitive than cheshire/laser collimation, and generally isn't very useful unless you have pretty darn good seeing. By the way, use Polaris because of its negligible drift.

Most nights I collimate with a barlowed laser, and it's usually good enough for most purposes. If I am really going to push the scope, though, I take the extra time and effort to star collimate.
Bill Bynum
Huggy

Neat hacks you can make on your new DOB.

Post by Huggy »

Here are some hacks you can make on your new DOB. I was able to build the Map/PC tray, like the one shown here, in a matter of one Saturday afternoon.

http://www.craigcolvin.com/Astronomy/XT10Hacks.html
LLCC Committee Chair
Key Holder - All
Primary gear: :D
20" F4 DOB Galaxy Mirror
C-11 Hyperstar and CGX-L
ZWO ASIair Pro 294C cooled
25x100 Bino
kenhugill@comcast.net