BSIG Astronomy Day picnic

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Buzzygirl

BSIG Astronomy Day picnic

Post by Buzzygirl »

On Saturday, May 6 (Astronomy Day), the Beginner’s Special Interest Group will be hosting a cookout/observing session at Baylor Regional Park. We will provide the protein for grilling and encourage participants to bring along their favorite salad/dessert to share.

ALL MAS members are welcome to the picnic!

We plan to meet at the picnic pavilion at 4:00 pm for general socializing and fun. Food will be served at approximately 6:00 pm.

*Members are encouraged to bring a telescope along. We would like to have as many types of telescope represented as possible.*

We of the Beginner’s SIG believe that there is “no substitute for time at the eyepiece,” so we’d like you to stay until after dark and join in on Astronomy Day stargazing. We’ll be on hand to help you out with any questions you might have about your telescope, accessories, and/or beginning stargazing in general.

If you think you'll be attending, please let me know (either here or by PM) so I can get an approximate head count, to make sure we have enough to eat.

Please join us on Saturday, May 6th at the picnic pavilion at Baylor Regional Park!
Last edited by Buzzygirl on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Buzzygirl,

I'd really like to come. I'd also like to bring my son and my father ( if he's here ).

My big problem right now is trying to plan this out. My wife is having a baby sometime within the next week ( Doctor won't let her go longer ), so depending on what happens and when we get home from the hospital, my parents will be coming to visit. I probably can't make it if the baby comes later than Monday.

If I do come, I will bring my 8" dob. I will ask my dad if he wants to bring his scope from home. That way he can get some help running it. He has had it for about a year or so, but he doesn't really know much about it. Being new myself, I haven't seen him since I learned anything.

Here's to hoping I can make it, and bring a couple people with me...
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

rallen: Good luck on the new addition to your family. If you can make it out to the picnic, please do stop by for food and fun.
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks to John for cooking up some good grub! And also to everyone who brought food and supplies.

I had a really good time at the picnic as did my father and son. I'm really glad that I was able to make it. It was certainly worth the drive out.
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!