Orion XT10 or XT12

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

MarkC

Orion XT10 or XT12

Post by MarkC »

I am thinking of getting an XT10 intelescope or an XT12. I realize the XT12 is 30lbs heavier but is the added 2 inches worth it?
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Depends upon whether the 12" would fit in your back seat or wherever you'll transport it!

Even though it's only 2" larger in diameter, that adds up to over 1.4 times the light gathering capability. Although I don't believe that would get you a full magnitude deeper, it would give you a little brighter views and a little higher resolution.

The main thing is, as you said, the additional 30 pounds in addition to the added size. As we all know, the best scope is the one you use the most. And the bigger they get, the bigger the hassle factor.

Note the scopes in my signature block. I just used the 16" for the first time at a star party (Cedar Key FL). I found there is a huge difference in the hassle between my 12" and 16" scopes. So much so that I think I actually prefer my 12" for most observing. Definitely for short outings. And this is a comparison between two truss Dobs. The XT12 is a solid tube, so it'd be like handling a smallish water heater!

If you're ok with that, the 12" is great! If you're concerned about the hassle factor, the 10" may be better in the long run. Both are nice scopes.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the 10in and more than likely be using it allot more than the heavier and larger scope. Also it'll fit in the cab of my truck which is a much more cushioned ride than in the bed.
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

I think the MAS has a 10" loaner that you might be able to try before you buy and see what you think. I don't think we have a 12", but I am not sure!

Clear Skies,
Kurt
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

I have the XT12 Intelliscope and am able to wrestle it around without much of a problem. But, a small car wouldn't hold the tube in the back seat.

Also, you have to be able to fit the mount somewhere. On my small pickup, that is in the front seat - just barely. I could put it in the back, but then I can't close the tonneau cover.

One problem with the 12 is placing the tube into the mount. You need to hold the tube out away from your body and lower it carefully down onto the frame. This reduced leverage makes it feel twice as heavy.

On the other hand, if you look at M51 with a 10 and then again with a 12, you will never go back to the 10. At least that's what happened to me.

Decisions, decisions...

:?
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Kurt, good point. I suppose I should have said that since I'm now in charge of the loaners! :oops:
There is one 10" loaner and two 8" loaners (all Orion SkyQuest Dobs) and one 6" Newt on a GEQ dual axis drive mount. No 12", though.
Fr. Brown is planning to use the 10" at Onan for the lunar eclipse, then there is one person on the waiting list that should get it first. After that, though, you could try it out to see if that's the size scope for you.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

buy the 12, that way next year they'll come out with a 14... 8)
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Ron
Do you carry the 12in tube in the bed of your truck? What do you do to pad its ride?
Thanks
Mark
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

I bought the Orion padded case for the tube. I put the tube in the case and then into the bed of my small Colorado pickup. Then I close the tonneau cover.I haven't had any damage problems with the arrangement.

Normally I put the mount in the front seat. But, if the weather is good and I am not going too far I have put it in back and left the bed uncovered. Not a good idea if there is any chance of rain though.

I measured the tube, by the way. It is 59 inches long, or just short of five feet.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
Huggy

Post by Huggy »

I own a 12" Deep Sky Hunter (DSH) that is identical to the intelescope. I love it for quick setup. I kinda use it as my beater scope. I have a truss tube 12.5" Telekit scope that is my "good" scope. I put a large strap around the DSH that allows me to carry it and place it in the mount with ease. You can use a seat belt strap wrapped around the scope in two loops. I just leave the strap hang on the scope all the time.

I would go with the 12" if you can haul it.
LLCC Committee Chair
Key Holder - All
Primary gear: :D
20" F4 DOB Galaxy Mirror
C-11 Hyperstar and CGX-L
ZWO ASIair Pro 294C cooled
25x100 Bino
kenhugill@comcast.net
MarkC

Purchased the XT 12

Post by MarkC »

I purchased the XT 12. Any suggestions on 2" eyepieces. I am thinking they would be better for projection photos than my 1.25"'s. Any thoughts?

I went to Onan today to see where it is. It is 60 mi from our house but I hope to make it to the star parties there.

Thanks to all for the good advice.