Putting a Handle on Mount

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
krichter

Putting a Handle on Mount

Post by krichter »

Just a simple question. I have a Lightbridge DOB with what looks like a particle board mount with 3/4" thick sides. I bought a handle that came with 4 1/2" screws.

Can I mount it safely with these screws or should I use bolts with nuts? I guess I'm worried about the particle board splitting...

Thanks
Kirby Richter
12" Meade LightBridge DOB
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Hi Kirby,

My advice, for what it is worth, would be to use bolt *through* the particle board. I have never had much luck with screws *into* particle board. But, your mileage may vary! :-)

Clear Skies,
Kurt
jmburrows

bolt into particle board

Post by jmburrows »

Hi Kirby,
Nice to see your new telescope last weekend at Onan! I added handles to my dob particleboard base using T-star nuts from the HW store (I think that's what they're called). They offer a much larger surface on the back side of the particle board to retain the bolt, and they fit flush, so you don't lose any room on the inside of the mount.
Jeff Burrows
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

I agree with Kurt and Jeff, particle board isn't very good at holding screws. I use T-nuts all the time and they work great. They're also great for attaching things securely to a Sonotube scope.
krichter

Post by krichter »

Great! Thanks for the info. I will definitely go with the bolts and try those T- nuts.

Thanks
Kirby Richter
12" Meade LightBridge DOB