What say we lose the handles?

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Ron Schmit

What say we lose the handles?

Post by Ron Schmit »

Hey Folks,

Don't mean to pontificate this early in the morning, this early in the week, but what say we dispense with the code words and use our real names to identify ourselves in the forums? I know, on-line we can have this whole separate persona or communicate something about our individuality in an icon and all, but when someone says they are going to meet you at the observatory, and you need to coordinate with them, how do you track down "StarWarsGuy1138"?

Our forum has grown into our primary channel of communication and I think we need to bring it up to speed with the rest of the organization. I'm sorry, I don't mean to suggest that we can't have fun out here, but there is an expectation of an organization our size that's involved in the functions in which we are involved and that has such a visible public persona. Providing clear communication is essential to making this all work well internally. Providing a professional face to our organization is essential to making this all work well externally. I would rather not tell a Girl Scout leader that the guy helping with the telescopes tonight is "SexyMan64".

Again, don't mean to wag a finger, but just encourage us to all bring this up a notch. Is there really a need for anonymity in an organization like ours? No, I don't expect you to be completely transparent, and I understand the need for privacy on-line, but don't we join a group like this to be MORE social? I would like to get to know YOU, not your persona. Let's save the mystery and masquerade for Halloween.

I'm not looking to forward an agenda or press policy, I just want to encourage members to consider it for themselves.

Thanks!

<soapbox off>
Last edited by Ron Schmit on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

Ron,
I agree with you 1000%!!!!
Bill Kocken
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

I also agree.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

I dunno. I hate to lose my anonymity!

:roll:

(Obviously, I agree!!)
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Similar discussion a while back, see archive here:

http://www.mnastro.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2858

Jo n
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Yep, I remember that and it seemed effective - there was a good response. Since I ran into a problem again recently, I thought I would send out another appeal to the masses.
Chip

Post by Chip »

........aw shucks, lignten up, friends....

---Chip

....(aka Tom Lindquist etc...)
Bob Young

Post by Bob Young »

Yea all folks have to do is message Mike right ??
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

If you look at who posts the most, of the 25 top posters 17 use their names so that they're recognizable. (I might have missed one or two. I'm also including some that are first or last names only.) That seems pretty good.

I too would like it if everyone used their real names, but what the heck, to each their own. So long as it's reasonably tasteful, I think a forum-name is just as meaningful as a real name -- maybe even more so.
Cosmicwind

Post by Cosmicwind »

Sounds like an increase in moderator workloads to change usernames. :lol:

I personally don't have a set preference either way. I grew up with the whole "handle" concept and have it on pretty much every site I use. Usually my "handle" matches my email address or the name I have been using since I was eight years old. I think for me it started because with a common name like mine, I got tired of being DrewSmith892716581 on large Web sites.

Being the type of organization MAS is, I have no problem changing my username. Likely some others won't mind either, and some will not care to change.

Two suggestions:

1) If it is decided to have regular names, ask if of everyone in the main forum and set a due date for those willing to change. Simple reply with Current Username and Desired Username to the thread should work fine, and it will make it easier on the moderators to just do a large list at once instead of one here and one there.

2) Change the Registration page to ask for the person's name, not a username. Also add a small text asking for the person's real name to make it clear what the "username" should be. This should cut down on "handles" quite a bit.

PS

Please change my username from "Cosmicwind" to "Drew Smith" :D
Drew Smith
MAS Secretary 2009

Cool signature pending quality Photoshop time...
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

A simpler and more flexible approach might be for individuals to include their 'real' name in the signature line of their posts -- lets those who prefer 'consistent handles' across multiple sites avoid keeping track of log-in variations, but still gets at the the 'who the heck is "StarBunny"? ' issue.
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

Great idea Mike. This post functions as the test of my signature...
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

The problem is, this forum isn't open to just members of the club. I would prefer to keep my full name off of the open net as much as possible.
merle

Post by merle »

Starforce2 wrote:The problem is, this forum isn't open to just members of the club. I would prefer to keep my full name off of the open net as much as possible.
Question...

when you send an email, do you put your name on it?
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Starforce2

Re:

Post by Starforce2 »

merle wrote:
Starforce2 wrote:The problem is, this forum isn't open to just members of the club. I would prefer to keep my full name off of the open net as much as possible.
Question...

when you send an email, do you put your name on it?

No. I don't feel the need to tell everyone who I am just because I send an email. If we meet in person, IE a starparty or outreach, I'll tell them who I am. I'll tell them my forum name too. By my real name is saved for actual personal contact. If you just know me on the net..Starforce from minnesota is usualy all you get. I even blank out the liscense plate when I share pix of my car.
Sparrow

Re: What say we lose the handles?

Post by Sparrow »

I can see both sides of this issue, but I have to agree with Starforce2. And in fact I just removed my real name from display. This forum is a public conversation, sometimes about expensive equipment we may own and where we live. Sadly, I think it's important to keep this particular firewall in place. I'm happy to share name, phone and address with any member who emails me.
8-inch Schmidt-Newtonian
Ham radio callsign w0vye
gbrogmus@comcast.net

"There is no democracy in physics." - Louis Walter Alvarez
"That's not right. It's not even wrong!" - Wolfgang Pauli
merle

Post by merle »

Ron Schmit wrote:...No, I don't expect you to be completely transparent, and I understand the need for privacy on-line, but don't we join a group like this to be MORE social? I would like to get to know YOU, not your persona. Let's save the mystery and masquerade for Halloween.
I see no reason to at least have your first name, or first name & last initial for your "real name".

I have been trying to modify the Onan Keyholder forum and find it impossible to know who is to be included with the only info available being the user name. Something more than "starman" would be helpful to know and is necessary in trying to moderate the member lists.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

True, however if they are keyholders they would have had to fill out a form would they not? so you already have their contact info...have them add their forum name..it;s alot more secure then hoping the person you are letting in there is who they say they are. some clever person could claim they are someone they aren't.
merle

Post by merle »

No, there is no "form". I get a name and email address from keyholders. Adding the username to the info would require another level of complexity to the process of maintaining all member lists.

Adding new members as they are added is only one issue, updating and maintaining the entire MAS member list as to who has renewed or had their membership expire, who should be added to the which forum list, etc., is another. From the perspective of someone who has not done this it seems like no big deal, but trying to maintain a list of some 400 members and cross referencing user names, real names email addresses, etc., can be extremely time consuming.

If it was up to me, I would require not only the first name & last initial but also a valid email address and city be included on the member profile. This would greatly simplify maintaining the forum list for me. Not to mention that when I get hit by a bus, the info will still be available for the next forum moderator and not just on a file on my laptop to be lost.

Besides, if "they" want to find you "they" will. google starforce minnesota or starforce2... to some extent you're out there already, we're not asking for anymore than that. As a mater of fact, the unique handle allows you to be found more easily. The handle Bob H in Woodbury would make it harder to be found. Being non-unique simply yields to much information.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Merle, you've convinced me. In a perfect world I'm sure we'd have a bulletproof database sitting on redundant servers, along with at least two DBAs, but I'm also sure this isn't a perfect world. So I've added both name and email addy here to make life as easy as possible for members to contact me. Nevertheless, please stay clear of buses!
8-inch Schmidt-Newtonian
Ham radio callsign w0vye
gbrogmus@comcast.net

"There is no democracy in physics." - Louis Walter Alvarez
"That's not right. It's not even wrong!" - Wolfgang Pauli