LLCC Forum?

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Ron Schmit

LLCC Forum?

Post by Ron Schmit »

I'm looking around for information on the garage being put up at LLCC to house MAS equipment, but I just noticed that there's not a forum for the LLCC. Is there something in the works? I think it would be very helpful to add one. It would help provide more exposure to this excellent facility.
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

There is some LLCC information in the Dark Sky Selection forum, but I agree it would be useful to have a separate forum for LLCC.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

I admit, we don't do much posting about LLCC. I think we should change the name of that forum and encourage it's use.

In the meantime here is a notice about the upcoming garage raising... coming this weekend!!

http://www.mnastro.org/forums/viewtopic ... ght=garage
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Of course you are entirely right about this, Ron, and good of you to point it out. MAS forum admins might better keep their eyes open for things like this as time moves on: Dark Site Selection as "selected" years ago by now, and everything but the name became LLCC. Good call, Ron.

It is also true that we all have maximum respect and affection for MAS fourm admins and all appreciate the burdens they bear keeping this group going well. Ron, I think you've struck the right balance here in pointing out this old little residual anachronism of nomenclature.

---Tom Lindquist

<smiling>
Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

I agree with Ron and Dick that we should add a new forum about LLCC. I disagree with Steve and Bill that we should change the name of the DSS to LLCC. If you read the description of the DSS forum it is not just about LLCC. If we change the name of the DSS forum to LLCC what happens to past threads about such things as light pollution and other dark sky sites? They would either have to be moved (I can hear admin groaning at the thought of the task) or else stay put in a forum that no longer reflects their topics.
Ron Schmit

LLCC Forum?

Post by Ron Schmit »

That's exactly what I would suggest - a separate forum for the LLCC - just like the one for the other observing sites. Although, given the remoteness of it, I would suggest just one and not "LLCC" & "LLCC Keyholders". While that works well for Onan, I think about the only traffic up there will be people that are "keyholders", so to speak.
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

LLCC forum created and available for use.

Could a couple people volunteer to act as moderators, preferably individuals who have been and will continue to be active in the development and operation of the site and equipment? I'll grant 'elite' privileges to these individuals so they can police the content posted on the forum, move / split topics as needed, and perform other content-related administration.
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

I'll volunteer to moderate the new LLCC forum.

The first order of business is to ask you (Mike?) to upgrade the telescope described in the blurb from a modest 20" inches to a jaw dropping, knock-your-socks-off 30" Obsession Dobsonian
Bill
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

wkocken wrote:I'll volunteer to moderate the new LLCC forum.

The first order of business is to ask you (Mike?) to upgrade the telescope described in the blurb from a modest 20" inches to a jaw dropping, knock-your-socks-off 30" Obsession Dobsonian
Bill
Thanks, Bill -- welcome to the heady world of 'elite forum moderators'. Corrected the typo as requested.
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Just one small suggestion: How about spelling out "Long Lake Conservation Center" in the forum name? While those of us who have been in the club for a few years know instantly what LLCC stands for, I think it would be helpful for newcomers to have the full name in the forum title as a reminder of what we're referring to by "LLCC" in our postings.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
merle

Post by merle »

I prefer DSS (Dark Sky Site). It may keep us from renaming the forum if the LLCC changes 10 years down the road.

Chip, All,

My suggestion would be to keep your comments on the topic at hand. If you want to vent or feel the sarcastic urge kicking in, please create a link to the off topic forum and those that want to follow it can do so... and those of us that don't, won't have to!

My rant: www.mnastro.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20927#20927
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com