Is "View posts since last visit" broken?

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
FF2Rydia

Is "View posts since last visit" broken?

Post by FF2Rydia »

Has anyone else noticed the "View posts since last visit" link/search on the forum index page rarely works correctly anymore?
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

It's been working correctly when I've used it today and during the last week.
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

It has been flawless for me.

There is one thing that can happen. If you log in and then go to private messages (to either send or receive) then come back to the forums, the software thinks you left and have re-logged in. Hitting view new posts will result in a "No New Posts" banner.

Jon
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

I've noticed a change in the last month or two.

There will be times when I'll go out and it says there are no Unread posts, however, I can see from the date code that there are some. Is this "last visit" value kept on the server? Does changing PC's make a difference?

Also, when I visit, I click "View Posts Since Last Visit". From the list, I will click on one of the posts and review it. If I click Back or go back to that list, it may or may not have switched to "Read" and instead remains "Unread". Not sure what's different, but I know it didn't work that way previously.

Would be more convenient if it would go to "Read". Helps me keep track of what's what. Thanks!
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Ron Schmit wrote:Would be more convenient if it would go to "Read". Helps me keep track of what's what. Thanks!
When you hit the back arrow in your browser, it should (in theory) go back to where you were last - which would be the list with the unread markers. (Browser issue, not forum software issue)

Once you hit back, click the refresh button, too, and the unread marker will change to read.
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Yeah, Jon, that makes sense, but my point was that it worked before and now it doesn't. Maybe I'm just seeing things. Thanks for the advice.