Are notifications working on the new forums?

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Ben Mullin

Are notifications working on the new forums?

Post by Ben Mullin »

I noticed that Jon posted to my SIG meeting notice in the ATM section and I did not get an email indicating he had. I was subscribed to the thread so I was surprised I didn't get an email. Can anyone confirm they are working?

Thanks,

Ben
Jupiter

Re: Are notifications working on the new forums?

Post by Jupiter »

I believe someone needs to enter in an email address for the admin..... Then emails will be sent.
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

Hey Craig,

Got the live chat portion working yet.... seems we're just about live messaging via the discussion areas :)

Anyhow, I'm not quite sure what you meant by the admin. My email is in my profile. Perhaps you mean the forum admin (Jon?) needs to setup his deal so they all come from him just like they all came from Mike before. Thinking about it now, I'm betting that is what you meant.

Ben
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

What I mean is that the message board must have an email account associated with it. This is usually the webmaster. This is where all board notifications come from. To send out any type of notification, you must have an email address to send it from. Right now there is nothing set up. It's not like I can just put any email address in there. Server and password information for that account must also be entered.... I have notified Jon Hickman, so it should get taken care of in the next day or so....
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

Yup, that's what I figured after your response. I'm sure Jon will get to it in due time.

Thanks Craig.

Ben
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Should be all set, may take a while to reset and start sending, but everything should be good to go on this end.
Jon Hickman
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

The topic subscriptions appear to be working great. Thanks Jon.

Now, are the forum subscriptions working? I subscribed to the test forum that admin/moderators have access to and posted a dummy topic there but haven't gotten a notice about it. Any ideas? Maybe I don't get notices for topics I create?

Ben
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Ben Mullin wrote:Maybe I don't get notices for topics I create?

Ben
Until someone else answers, that is correct.
Jon Hickman
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

I can now confirm that if you have subscribed to a forum, you will get an email when a new topic has been posted to that forum, but only if someone else posts the new topic. You will not get a notification if you post a new topic. Apparently the forum software assumes you are smart enough to know of new topics you start...

Thanks for doing all the hard work for me Jon :)

Ben