Zamboni on the Moon

Topics related to manned space missions

Moderator: clayton

Dick Jacobson

Zamboni on the Moon

Post by Dick Jacobson »

If water is spread all over the surface of the Moon in a thin layer, as the recent findings seem to indicate, how would we collect it? A vacuum device wouldn't work in a vacuum. Maybe we need a fleet of Zambonis to scoot around the surface!
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
FF2Rydia

Re: Zamboni on the Moon

Post by FF2Rydia »

Yep, augers should work in a vacuum.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Zamboni may be unnecessary. A leading theory (at this early stage) is that protons in the solar wind interact with oxygen in the soil, producing water. Then the water slowly migrates to cold areas and collects. This suggests that we could set up a network of "oases" across the moon by erecting reflective canopies that would create cold spots, where the water would collect. Would this work fast enough to be useful? Who knows?
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Chip

Post by Chip »

Geologists will find the economically viable concentrations (if any) and then obviously mine them, if profitable (i.e., if it is technically feasible and worth doing).

---Tom

"If I were wrong, then one would have been enough." Albert Einstein’s response to the 1931 pamphlet "100 authors against Einstein," by German Nazi Party as clumsy contradiction to Relativity Theory

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual". Galileo Galile

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.” Albert Einstein
Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

This morning's APOD picture (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ ) was on this subject and they suggested that the water may be only a few molecules thick and largely evaporate during the lunar day. I think any water at the very surface probably would evaporate. However, a small fraction of that may go deeper into the ground where the temperature is more stable. If so, it is possible that over the eons appreciable amounts of water may gave absorbed onto the surfaces of the rocks and dust particles a few to a few dozen feet underground. If that is the case, then the water could be released by simply heating the rocks and condensing the resulting vapor.

Does anyone happen to know ther maximum depth to which the Apollo astronauts dug when they collected their lunar soil samples?
benhuset

Post by benhuset »

Apollo astronauts drilled 2-3 meters deep.

--Ben

http://curator.jsc.nasa.gov/lunar/lsc/Drillcore.pdf
No trees were
destroyed in sending this message but several thousand electrons were mildly
inconvenienced and upset!