Asteroid 596 Scheila's new tail...

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
RussD

Asteroid 596 Scheila's new tail...

Post by RussD »

Looks like asteroid 596 Scheila has sprouted a spiral tail!

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Russ
----------------------------------------------------
Shed of Science South Observatory
20" Planewave CDK
Astro-Physics 1600
FLI ML4710
Stellar Skies, Pontotoc, Tx
Kurt A. Casby

Re: Asteroid 596 Scheila's new tail...

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

So, what are you betting, Comet or impact?

Have there been other such discoveries that would give one a better idea of the odds?

Are you going to take a shot at this object?

Clear Skies,
Kurt
RussD

Post by RussD »

Here is an image from last night:

[album]1651[/album]

This is a median combine of 30 minutes total with 1 minute sub frames. The asteroid moved a bit so it has a little streak to it.

The large spiral structure there is only partly real. I botched my flats creating a dark hole in the middle of the image right underneath the asteroid and a bright gradient in the larger image. So while the bright area near the asteroid is real, I am less certain about the larger spiral. It could be real, but it is more likely an unlucky artifact from my flat. I will try again on the next clear night. I am pretty sure there was frost or maybe flocking falling into the optical path.

To answer your question. It could be either. It would only take a small impact from an object a few meters across to do this. The fact is that we just dont know how many tiny sub km objects are out there and what the impact probability is. While I kind of doubt it was an impactor, it certainly could be. The object could also be a rare comet. The rotational period is known 15.8hrs. I wonder if the light curve has some clues.

Remember the man made impact on 9P/Tempel a few years ago. That object was a few feet wide and it made a similar tail. Also, there was a discovery last spring from Hubble showing a probable impact on an asteroid that created a curious X shaped tail. As usual, more data is needed to see what the likely explanation would be.

Russ
20" Planewave CDK
Astro-Physics 1600
FLI ML4710
RussD

Post by RussD »

I reworked the image with a new flat and the results look a bit more like what others are seeing. I still have a light leak somewhere in my system, but this is looking a bit better.

[album]1652[/album]

Russ
20" Planewave CDK
Astro-Physics 1600
FLI ML4710