M51 Supernova

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
heinerv

M51 Supernova

Post by heinerv »

Has anyone spotted the supernova in M51. Estimated at mag 14, so it would take a big scope
heinerv

Re: M51 Supernova

Post by heinerv »

I should add that I tried last night, Friday, and didn't spot it using my 12". However, we were at a retreat center so there were lights around and I didn't know where it was in the galaxy.
Dennis_Faith

Post by Dennis_Faith »

Dick located it in his 20" then Ken showed it to us in the 30" at LLCC last night. It was a challenge in the 16", It would fade in and out but mostly out. The seeing was OK at best but it was definitely there!
Dennis Faith
Homebuilt Scopes/ATM:
12.5" f/5 Walnut and Maple Dob - 2005
16" f/4.5 Cherry and Maple Dob - 2009
17.5" f/4.4 Walnut and Maple Dob (in progress)
Refigured more mirrors than I can recall.
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

I think it had faded to magnitude 14.5 or less. I could see it at least half of the time in my 20". I couldn't see it in Alan's 12.5" but others said they could. It was easy to see in the 30", and the view of the galaxy was magnificent!
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

It was pretty obvious in the 20" Obsession at Onan tonight. It was just about a direct view object. It was seen in several other scopes at Onan, including my 250mm Mewlon DK cassegrain. In the 250 it was coming and going, but consistently so, and at least a few people besides me saw it in the 250. I wonder if it has brightened since last night. How was the seeing at LLCC Friday night? Was it hazy?
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
merle

Post by merle »

Got a shot of it from the imaging platform monitor at Onan. We were able to spot it in the C-14 and LX200 (w/ 13mm Ethos) quite easily...as well as the 20" and other scopes.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1106/m5 ... ey_440.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Deane Clark wrote:How was the seeing at LLCC Friday night? Was it hazy?
The transparency was rather poor. Before sunset the sky was "milky", not distinctly blue. Later the Milky Way was visible but not full of detail like on a good night at LLCC. Seeing was also mediocre, faint stars tended to fade in and out of view. I couldn't see the jet in M87, which I've caught a glimpse of in my 20" on better nights.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Dave Falkner and I were able to see the M51 supernova in the 24" Starmaster B.A.D. at Cherry Grove last night. We had fairly poor transparency conditions, with spotty clouds forming and dissipating over our heads throughout the night. But the view of M51 was good. We could clearly see the supernova and could clearly see the spiral arm structure of both galaxies that make up M51.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

The seeing and transparency were both kind of poor at Onan Saturday as well. I hope it lasts long enough to be seen under really clear, steady conditions. I bet it will really "pop" (pun intended but only just as I typed it).
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

I managed to see it only via a 5 sec exposure on my camera - through light polluted Roseville skies.

I have a photo of it in the photo gallery

Mark
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Hi All,

I had a great time Saturday evening out at Onan. I managed to see the SN in M51 though the 20" 'Padre", the 16" LX200, and Deane's 10" Mewlon. I also had a good look via the StellaCam 3 on the video rig. My thanks to the folks staffing Onan, and special thanks to Bob, Clayton, Deane, and Merle for making my trip a success!

Last night I took a quick and dirty image on the SN in M51. Tough target from the POD in my back yard, so only managed a few exposures. Still, the SN is obvious. I posted it in the photo gallery.

Thanks again to everyone out at Onan Saturday. I had a great time!

Clear Skies,
Kurt