2012 Venus Transit, 6/5/2012

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
merle

2012 Venus Transit, 6/5/2012

Post by merle »

I wanted to begin a post to centralize the Venus Transit discussions, to see what your plans for the transit are, answer any questions you may have and post informational links.

Transit Party at the Onan Observatory, Baylor Regional Park rain or shine. Observatory opens at 4:00, June 5th. Transit begins at 5:04 pm and concludes at sunset for those viewing from here.

Information can be found at:
The “Transit of Venus” website -
http://www.transitofvenus.org/
NASA - http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2012/index.php and http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/transit12.html

If you run across additional links let me know.

Related transit viewing and road trip discussions can be found at:

Road Trip SIG, "Mother of all Road Trips" - Venus Transit - Fairbanks, AK - June 2012
Observing SIG, "Eclipse Glasses" - Venus Transit Observing
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Ron Schmit

Re: 2012 Venus Transit, 6/5/2012

Post by Ron Schmit »

We'll be rockin' at The Ike!

Eisenhower Observatory's
Venus Transit Party
Tuesday June 5, 5:00 - 10:00

Universe tours in the Exploradome, webcast coverage from Hawaii, activities for the kiddos, and scopes aplenty!

Eisenhower Community Center - Room 347
1001 Highway 7, Hopkins

Feel free to just come and observe, or set up a scope in the front yard.
Event is rain or shine.

http://www.hopkinsschools.org/community ... bservatory
jhairrell

Post by jhairrell »

I just read in the most recent issue of Reflector that the AL will be offering an award for this event. A person can get a certificate just for viewing the event, but there will also be a special pin available for calculating the distance from Earth to the sun using data from the transit event. I think I might try for this, espcially considering that the data will be available from all over the world and it will be the only time in my life that I'll be able to get this award! Is anyone else planning on attempting the calculations? I don't yet know the theoretical basis for this, but I should be able to work it out on my own and then double-check my work against anything that might be published online or in a textbook. I am imagining it will require some sort of parallax-style derivation, so that's where I'll start...
petemn2004

Weather Prospects for this Tuesday Evening

Post by petemn2004 »

Time to look at the weather prospects for this Tuesday (June 5, 2012) evening for the Twin Cities. A site to checkout is linked below.
http://www.skippysky.com.au/NorthAmerica/

Also Clear Sky Clock:
http://cleardarksky.com/c/Minneapoliskey.html?1

On 2004's Transit of Venus the forecast for the Twin Cities was dismal and it was indeed clouded out. I went to the MiIwaukee area and it was clear for the Transit. Maybe Iowa is the place to be this time?

I am taking this Tuesday as vacation.
mlfj4901

Post by mlfj4901 »

I have the day off and plan on driving if necessary, but hope to just be able to party at Onan
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

I've suggested to my students that they get themselves out to Onan to observe the transit. I told them it was free, but this Star Trib article says that there is a $5 per car entry fee to the park. I know that's waived for our public star parties, but could someone clarify if there's a fee for those entering to view the Transit?
merle

Post by merle »

Our lease with the park states:

During M.A.S. scheduled events, no park user fees are required of M.A.S. members, but members are required to be properly permitted while in the park with a Temporary Parking Permit. The public and guest of M.A.S. members are required to purchase either a Daily or Annual Parking Permit for any event, program or activity in the park unless otherwise arranged through the park office or by use permit.

You may be able to park at the Park Office and walk to the observatory... but I'd recommend car pooling.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Thanks Merle,

I definitely misunderstood how it worked. I'll advise my students.

I couldn't find any mention of this in the public announcements for the event on our website. (And on a related note, I have never obtained a temporary permit when visiting the observatory. Is that a requiment that's "not a requirement?")

Dave
ValtsTreibergs

Post by ValtsTreibergs »

I am not able to make it to Onan or the Ike for the events, but have received permission from Tamarack Nature Center in White Bear Lake to set up my scope for transit viewing Tuesday. Anyone not able to make to Onan or Ike - stop by Tamarack!

I'll have my C11 with solar filter set up just on the west side of the main building on the patio.

Valts Treibergs
Valts Treibergs
Optics: Takahashi Epsilon-160 / Edmund 8" 4001 / Brashear 4" Achromat / Gaertner 6" Achromat
Cameras: Canon 60Da, QHY-22, QHY-533M, TIS color&mono, Point Grey Flea color USB3, T7C
Mount: Losmandy G-11 w/Gemini-II
petemn2004

Post by petemn2004 »

It looks like it may be clearer for the transit just NW of the Twin Cities. St. Cloud may be far enough. Decision time will be tomorrow.

Mark Petersen
merle

Post by merle »

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!

Details on our Onan Observatory star party for the Transit of Venus can be found on our "Transit of Venus" webpage.

You can also look in on the festivities at the Observatory via our newly set up live webcam HERE.

Can't get to our event? You can still watch the transit online. Follow the link to the Live Webcast from the summit of Mauna Kea, Hawaii.

Finally, if you find yourself completely unprepared and can't get to a computer or any place to view the transit, give the tried and true "pinhole camera" a try...
The Pinhole Projection Method - One safe way of enjoying the Sun during a partial eclipse--or anytime--is a "pinhole camera," which allows you to view a projected image of the Sun. There are fancy pinhole cameras you can make out of cardboard boxes, but a perfectly adequate (and portable) version can be made out of two thin but stiff pieces of white cardboard (or heavy paper, such as a paper plate).

Punch a small clean pinhole in one piece of cardboard and let the sunlight fall through that hole onto the second piece of cardboard, which serves as a screen, held below it. An inverted image of the Sun is formed. To make the image larger, move the screen farther from the pinhole. To make the image brighter, move the screen closer to the pinhole. Do not make the pinhole wide or you will only have a shaft of sunlight rather than an image of the Sun.

Remember, this instrument is used with your back to the Sun. The sunlight passes over your shoulder, through the pinhole, and forms an image on the cardboard screen beneath it. Do not look through the pinhole at the Sun. From "Mr. Eclipse" website.
Remember, above all else, be careful when viewing the sun. Whenever viewing the sun, viewing safety is paramount.
NEVER attempt to observe the sun or any part of the Venus Transit with the naked eye.
NEVER use an unfiltered telescope or binoculars to view the sun.
NEVER use a damaged solar filter or damaged solar eyeglasses to view the sun.
NEVER look through an unfiltered camera to view the sun.
NEVER look through the "pinhole" of a "Projection Box" to view the sun. As noted above, project the image on to a second piece of paper with the sun at your back.
And an oldie but a goodie, NEVER look through a photo negative to view the sun.

Failure to use appropriate filtration may result in permanent eye damage or blindness!
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Jake,

I am going to try for the award!
Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

I will also, here is the info on the award. Thanks for the info on it Jake

Mark

http://www.astroleague.org/PlanetaryTransit_Venus2012
mtuepker

Post by mtuepker »

I shouldn't laugh at other's misfortunes, but this made me chuckle a bit

wardenmsp

Post by wardenmsp »

I had to teach a class at 6, but we had our own South Minneapolis back-alley Transit party from 5 to 5:40. I invited the neighbors for a look through our PST, and we got a total of 8 adults and 9 kids (all under 12)!
Bill Arden
Ehi Canyon Observatory
(East of Hiawatha Ave., in the Canyon between two garages)
merle

Post by merle »

wardenmsp wrote:I had to teach a class at 6, but we had our own South Minneapolis back-alley Transit party from 5 to 5:40. I invited the neighbors for a look through our PST, and we got a total of 8 adults and 9 kids (all under 12)!
VERY glad to see that you at least got to view it for a while!!!
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
wardenmsp

Post by wardenmsp »

Thanks, Merle. I'm glad I didn't miss it, too.
Bill Arden
Ehi Canyon Observatory
wardenmsp

Post by wardenmsp »

By the way, it was also clearly visible through a hand-held solar filter for an 11" telescope (i.e., no telescope, just the filter between you and the Sun).
Bill Arden
Ehi Canyon Observatory
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

mtuepker wrote:I shouldn't laugh at other's misfortunes, but this made me chuckle a bit
Isn't it Dec 11, 2117 (and then 2125)?
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
merle

Post by merle »

Deane Clark wrote:Isn't it Dec 11, 2117 (and then 2125)?
Yes, but most of the US won't see it in 2117. In 2125 the transit is visible in the entire country and in its entirety from Wisconsin to the eastern US.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

merle wrote: Yes, but most of the US won't see it in 2117. In 2125 the transit is visible in the entire country and in its entirety from Wisconsin to the eastern US.
Actually, I doubt that any of us will see either of them!
jhayman

Post by jhayman »

Here's a great link to ultra hi-def photos of the transit (Goddard Space Flight Center): http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a010900/a010996/
Jon
mtuepker

Post by mtuepker »

merle wrote:
Deane Clark wrote:Isn't it Dec 11, 2117 (and then 2125)?
Yes, but most of the US won't see it in 2117. In 2125 the transit is visible in the entire country and in its entirety from Wisconsin to the eastern US.

Alright, they got me on a technicality. In my defense, I've been in video processing misery the last few days, so the brain is barely functioning.