Paper "memory"

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Dave Venne

Paper "memory"

Post by Dave Venne »

In another post I mentioned keeping a three-ring binder with printed copies of "things I always forget" like how to do polar alignment. Most of my reminders are pretty mundane or are specific to my telescopes and devices. But I do have one that might be of interest for those who routinely do a multi-star alignment of their go-to mounts, but like me can't recall which star name goes with which star in the sky. It's a full-sky map showing where the 80 stars used for alignment by Celestron mounts are located. To see full-sized versions click on the thumbnails, or right-click to save the files.

Black on White (for printing)

White on Black (for using on display devices, or blowing through a month's supply of toner/ink)

Red on Black (same as white on black, but for night use)

I'm curious to know if any of you have other paper or displayable "memories" that you've made or found that you find useful enough to keep at hand.
Last edited by Dave Venne on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtuepker

Re: Paper "memory"

Post by mtuepker »

Definitely a great tool reference to have. I've found myself switching over to the cell phone for this recently. Google Sky is free for android devices (maybe apple too, I dont know), and I know apple has similar software. It's so nice just to be able to point your cell phone at a star to confirm it's name, then have the scope go there.
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

mtuepker wrote:It's so nice just to be able to point your cell phone at a star to confirm it's name, then have the scope go there.
Portable devices will quickly replace the need for any sort of hard copy for those who own them. My phone, unchanged in design since the cretaceous period, when pointed at a star only blocks my view of it. That's its low-tech way of reminding me to learn the stars or maybe join the 21st Century already.
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Dave,

your comment made me laugh out loud!

Roxanne
Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Dave, my wife supports my hobby, but her eyes tend to glaze over when I talk astronomy. She did, however, understand and appreciate your use of your phone. We're laughing with you!

Marcus, our 11 year old grandson eagerly showed us his latest astro app (I believe it was also Google Sky). We're helping to prepare the next generation, even if I'm not quite ready to follow suit.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Dave:

Don't sell your phone short! It also has the LPMD ap (Light Pollution Mitigation Device). Simply hold your phone towards the horizon and it will block out that offending mercury vapor lamp. Oh, these modern technological wonders!

Thanks for the charts. I don't often see a Miller cylindrical projection of the night sky. Sure distorts the crap out of Ursa Minor, much like it grossly overstates the size of Greenland!
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Ron Schmit wrote:Don't sell your phone short! It also has the LPMD ap (Light Pollution Mitigation Device). Simply hold your phone towards the horizon and it will block out that offending mercury vapor lamp. Oh, these modern technological wonders!
Indeed, it is that. Resembling a large egg made of lead, it can also serve as a weight to hold down charts on breezy night, and as a throwable personal defense system should I be threatened by a skunk, raccoon, or most dangerous of all, a granola-crazed field mouse.
Thanks for the charts. I don't often see a Miller cylindrical projection of the night sky. Sure distorts the crap out of Ursa Minor, much like it grossly overstates the size of Greenland!
I got the basemap from this Navigational Star Chart by the U.S. Naval Observatory. The USNO notes about the chart end with this, possibly added for the benefit of cruise ship captains: "The rectangular shape of the chart distorts the relative positions of the stars in the polar regions."