Observing Lists

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

defalkner

Observing Lists

Post by defalkner »

Greetings,

Steve Emert has posted a zip file with four observing lists in the Observing Forum. They are:
  • Constellations
    Messier Objects
    Favorite NGC Objects
    Caldwell Objects
Each spreadsheet has tabs with the list sorted by identifier, magnitude, constellation, etc. You could also sort the list anyway you like since they are Excel spreadsheets.

Here is the link to the forum entry - http://www.mnastro.org/forums/viewtopic ... 676#p33855
Clear skies!
Dave Falkner
10" Meade SNT
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 SCT
CGO Committee
MAS Secretary
jjones7777

Re: Observing Lists

Post by jjones7777 »

For those of you who are looking for more information about observing lists, the Astronomical League (MAS' parent organization) hosts a huge number of observing projects of various skill levels and equipment needs. The lists can be found at: https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs ... Clubs.html If you have any questions about them feel free to pm me. One of the great parts about the completing these lists is that, once you're finished, you get a certificate of completion and a PIN. Hey, we all need things to attach to our ball caps...
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
dhawley

Post by dhawley »

Hi, folks! I've been a long time fan of astronomy, and am finally taking it up as a hobby. I have a 8" Dobsonian on order but am eager to get started just with naked eye / binoculars. These observing lists are great!

I do have question, though... one of the log sheets includes I term I can't seem to figure out. The program page is Asterism Observing Program and the log sheet instructions on how to record the Limiting Visual Magnitude say "refer to BOG". What is BOG? If not able to answer that, what is the normal method of recording Limiting Visual Magnitude?
Darin Hawley, MAS Member Since 01/2021
SkyWatcher Classic 200P 8" Dobsonian (first scope!)
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings Darin - welcome to the Minnesota Astronomical Society!

And, congrats on your upcoming 8” Dob - an excellent choice in a first telescope. Also, I am thrilled that you have discovered the Astronomical League’s Observing Programs. If you allow them to do so, they will help you organize your observing sessions, allowing you to see stuff that you never before considered possible.

As to your specific question: I’m not sure what BOG might refer to (perhaps it’s a Canadian thing). Typically, Limiting Visual Magnitude is best determined by looking at the stars in the Little Dipper and determining which stars you can see at any given time of the evening. If you Google ‘Limiting Magnitude’ you will find a plethora of excellent explanations and methods. Anything that works for you works. Thus, the definition of ‘limiting magnitude’ is: what is the dimmest star YOU can see at any particular time. I’d be curious if others have run into BOG.

In regards to your REAL question: what can I get started with while I am waiting for my telescope - I would suggest that you DON’T start with the Asterism project (it’s hard in some unique ways) but start instead with some or all of the following:

1. Constellation Hunter. Learn the constellations by sketching them. Fantastic prep work for future telescopic observing
2. Messier Binocular. If you have a 7X50 pair of binoculars, you will be AMAZED at how many Messier objects you can see.
3. Universe Sampler. This contains many naked eye and binocular viewing opportunities, and you learn A LOT about observing in the process
4. Beyond Polaris. Another tremendous beginning observation project.
5. Lunar 1. Great to begin to get an idea of what observing the moon has to offer.

Also, take some time to look through the list required for the Observing Award - the first step to becoming a Master Observer, should you find completing observing projects is something that really inspires you. These observing projects are designed specifically for people like YOU.

Finally, you’ve come to the right place to ask your questions! These forums are chocked full of people who have the right answers for you. In regards to the Astronomical League Observing Projects - I’m your man; that’s my main job with the MAS. Feel free to reach out to me personally, should you desire: jjones7777@aol.com

In conclusion: Welcome to the wonderful CALLING of Amateur Astronomy! We are glad you have started this journey of discovery with us.

Clear Skies!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
clayton

Post by clayton »

The BOG is the RASC Beginners Observing Guide

https://www.rasc.ca/beginners-observing-guide
Clayton Lindsey
merle

Post by merle »

Referring to the "Limiting Visual Magnitude", Attilla Danko of Clear Dark Sky fame has a Limiting Magnitude Calcuator to determine this.

Interesting that it takes into account and has variables for your experience and eyesight. Could be an interesting tool to check the limiting magnitude estimated.

Note the BOG does not appear to be available any longer.
-
Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 8.26.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 8.26.44 AM.png (64.59 KiB) Viewed 7083 times
-

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
dhawley

Post by dhawley »

Just got my MAS membership card today! It was also a reminder for me to login and check on this question, hoping there really were other people out there monitoring the boards. Boy howdy, great answers, and thanks for the welcome!
Darin Hawley, MAS Member Since 01/2021
SkyWatcher Classic 200P 8" Dobsonian (first scope!)