MAS behind closed doors

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Dave Venne

MAS behind closed doors

Post by Dave Venne »

I noticed a contradiction between how the SIG forums are set up and their description on this page: http://www.mnastro.org/sigs/directory.htm.

The web page says Anyone may read forum messages but only registered users may start new topics, reply to existing topics, etc. about the Imaging, Observing, Research and Road Trip SIG forums, but it's not true. Registration is required to enter all of the SIG forums except the Beginner's SIG.

Which is correct: The present configuration of the forum permissions, or the description on the web page?

This came up as I was prepping a Facebook update about the SIGS and realized that sending unregistered readers to visit the forums was like sending them to a library that's always closed.
RussD

Re: MAS behind closed doors

Post by RussD »

Hi Dave,
I can give you a little into on this. My recollection is that the whole subject regarding what is open to un-registerd folks and what is only visible to those with accounts will be under discussion by the board in an upcoming meeting. Since I am no longer a board member I am not sure what the status is. But I am a forum administrator so I will be putting into effect whatever decisions are handed down.

In the past the forums have been managed in an ad-hoc manner mostly and this sort of thing is bound to happen. When I was a board member we did have this subject come up now and then. But with all the other projects the board is managing, we never had time to get into a full discussion of what changes etc are needed in the forums.

Russ
----------------------------------------------------
Shed of Science South Observatory
20" Planewave CDK
Astro-Physics 1600
FLI ML4710
Stellar Skies, Pontotoc, Tx
----------------------------------------------------
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Thanks, Russ,

It's good to know that it's going to be under discussion. I'll find another way to get the SIGS some FB exposure.

Dave
Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

Since Russ says the issue will be coming up before the board, a reminder of history might be in order. There was a post in this forum ("Wait a sec ... they can SEE this?" around March/April 2009) that discussed this. Some considerations include:
1. Spammers can scour open websites for e-mail addresses to add to their lists
2. Discussions about upcoming observing sessions. If open to the general public thieves could be among the readership and gain info on when members will be away.
3. Two or three years ago there was a short lived spate of spam advertisement posts in the for sale forum.
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Dale,

Thanks for the back story. !*#%@! Spammers! :evil:

My original question was to find out which was right--that some of the SIG forums were supposed to be closed, or that (as the web site indicates) they are supposed to be open for reading. Sounds like it's the former, and the web page needs correcting--unless the board changes the policy.

Dave