Curiosity at one year on Mars

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Ron Schmit

Curiosity at one year on Mars

Post by Ron Schmit »

OK, so the anniversary was actually Aug 19, but time dilates in our household as the beginning of the school year approaches. Now, back on the treadmill, life returns to normal, and I get to catch up on my mail.

In 2001, I was selected as a Solar System Ambassador with JPL/NASA. Our mission is to go into our community and tell people about JPL and its robotic exploration of the solar system. Voyager, Galileo, Cassini, MER, Curiosity, Messenger, Stereo... They are no C-3PO, but I've gotta tell ya, these robots are amazing!! They have been our eyes and ears - and even our hands - beyond the orbit of the Moon, and have re-written the book (several times over) on the collective knowledge of our solar system. They are remotely piloted, but also semi-autonomous, doing things we haven't dared try; boldly going where no man has gone... at least yet.

Even so, with all their daring-do and cutting edge technology, the robots are only the evidence of the real story of JPL. Oh sure, the robots get all the attention, and the mission patches, and the Twitter accounts... But the real wonder comes when you look at the people behind these technological marvels. The robots are simply the avatars for the spirit of exploration imbued within each and every individual that laid a hand on these things.

Want proof? Watch this video. I know of no greater testament to the true nature of that place in Pasadena. You need only listen to this young man and watch the reaction of his co-workers as Curiosity touches down on the Red Planet:

"We are safe on Mars!"

Not "It",
Not "Curiosity",
Not "The lander",
Not "The Mars Science Laboratory".

"We".

I've had a change of heart. These robotic probes are not the greatest accomplishment at JPL; her people are.

https://youtu.be/PCKogFDM3Zg

Ron
Last edited by Ron Schmit on Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Schmit

Re: Curiosity at one year on Mars

Post by Ron Schmit »

If you weren't at Nancy's presentation, last night, we talked about the amazing people at JPL. Reminded me of this post from 2013. I went back to it and noticed that the link to the video didn't work.

Fixed it! https://youtu.be/PCKogFDM3Zg

Gives me chills every time.

Every. Single. Time.
30salem

Re: Curiosity at one year on Mars

Post by 30salem »

That was awesome. Damn allergies......makes my eyes water...
Bernie

Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Celestron 6SE (SCT)
Orion ST130 (Newtonian)
Revolution Imager 2