Some interesting astronomy reading

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Ricola

Some interesting astronomy reading

Post by Ricola »

The University of California High-Performance AstroComputing Center (UC-HiPACC) regularly puts out articles, called "AstroShorts" (which coincidentally was my nickname in High School). These are intended to be published in club newsletters and the like, but since our GEMINI newsletter is exclusively original content, I have decided to link to them here on the forums.

Here's the latest...
The ubiquitous lunar mineral apatite, which has become the yardstick for measuring the amount of water in the Moon, “cannot be trusted.” That is the startling conclusion by Jeremy Boyce of UCLA and four coauthors after computational models revealed key details about how apatite crystalized from lunar magma, confirmed by measurements of actual lunar samples. Their detective sleuthing, published last month in Science, is recounted in the story “Drying Out The Moon?”—the latest AstroShort by the University of California High-Performance AstroComputing Center (UC-HiPACC), now featured on the home page and at the top of http://hipacc.ucsc.edu/AstroShorts.html.
Fourteen previous AstroShorts can be viewed online at http://hipacc.ucsc.edu/AstroShorts.html.

Ric Heins,
Outreach Coordinator,
Minnesota Astronomical Society
Ouroboros

Re: Some interesting astronomy reading

Post by Ouroboros »

It would not hurt to have a special column in Gemini club newsletter called " Astronomy news" which can collect all latest short updates like this one.
defalkner

Re: Some interesting astronomy reading

Post by defalkner »

I get the AstroShorts newsletter as well and they are interesting articles. They are short and to the point, about a page in length.
Clear skies!
Dave Falkner
10" Meade SNT
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 SCT
CGO Committee
MAS Secretary