Public SP 6.7.14

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

merle

Public SP 6.7.14

Post by merle »

Great Public Star Party last night. Despite most of the day being cloudy with some rain there were about 70 visitors throughout the night. Great lunar views, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn… we even got comet Panstarrs on the imaging platform again. We also viewed the pass of the ISS and a -7 Iridium flare over Onan. Dew became a major factor as anything in Papa Bear became drenched, We spent a good portion of the shut down dedicated to drying out and removing heavy dew from the scopes.

I stayed an took a few images of the ground fog encroaching on the SA Casby Observatory…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Deane Clark

Re: Public SP 6.7.14

Post by Deane Clark »

Thanks for capturing that, Merle. The dew was a major nuisance, but the fog looked cool creeping up on us from the ball fields.

Also looking very cool was Mars. The seeing was good enough to use 271x and even 362x in my 6" refractor. I haven't seen that much detail on Mars in a long time. Syrtis Major was very prominent, like a giant dark shark's tooth, and there seemed to be a bright limb haze or clouds running right from one polar cap to the other along the western limb, except for a gap near Syrtis Major.

On Saturn, I could see the C ring in the ring gaps on either side. Also, the equatorial region on the planet was subtly brighter than the adjacent zones, with the polar zone even darker.

Even though I had to give up by 12:30 because of the dew, I was really glad I went. I was surprised there weren't more people out, seeing as the CSC was dead-on predicting the clearing around sunset.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Thanks for the image Merle, beautiful shot!

I was hoping to get to ELO in time for the Classroom training, dinner, and the public evening. I ended up at a graduation party instead, long story.

Perhaps I'll manage to make it down there someday!

Clear Skies,
Kurt
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

That is a great picture, Merle!
Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Dave-

Post by Dave- »

Thanks for sharing the photo, Merle. Nice way to top off a good evening at ELO.