Impromtu Aurora Chase

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

clayton

Impromtu Aurora Chase

Post by clayton »

I haven't completely developed a case of Aurora Mania but thought I might ask if others are considering an impromptu Aurora Chase?

Aurora are fickle. The moon is 80% full and rising at 9:40pm leaving only about 40 minutes of true darkness. The skies are iffy; forecasts are maybe less cloudy to the South than North.

However the KP may be 6 and it's been a while; maybe a short drive is worth the gamble? Is this a case of just do it?

Those to the North have the usual options. Crex Meadows being a recent favorite although ClearSkyClock has it only clearing after midnight.

Those to the Southwest and West could probably make it to Baylor Park but you should know this is not a public night and ELO is reserved for outreach. So Aurora hunters will have to make do with other parts of the park. See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7821

Those of us to the South East and East could head to where? JJ Casby, Belwin, random road side stop further out past River falls?

I could head to CGO but I think its more time and distance than I want to gamble.

Metcalf by CSC is Partly cloudy and maybe not the darkest but I can check the weather before I leave, 8pm to 10 pm seems ok, Not too far ... sounds like a winner!

Or has anyone got a better offers? I can carpool with someone, maybe talk a little astronomy and travel a little further out of the light dome of the cities.
Clayton Lindsey
clayton

Re: Impromtu Aurora Chase

Post by clayton »

Boy Google maps makes the horizon look poor for Aurora viewing at Metcalf. Anyone been there this year that can report on this?
metcalf
metcalf
metcalf.png (140.75 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Clayton Lindsey
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

I would consider JCasby - but not the observatory plaza - rather the road on the hillside. Best views to east and somewhat north from one section. Or, the Lucy Winton Bell athletic fields which are further north on ?Stagecoach? road but in the same neighborood. Pine Point Park (end of Gateway Trail) might be another good option although I think it technically closes at dusk. The open roadsides between Scandia and Square Lake Park are wide open too.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
clayton

Post by clayton »

The clouds brought a quick end to my dream. With the cloud cover still in place I may try for a quick late night dash out from my suburban skies in Woodbury toward Afton State Park and try to find a spot to pull off the road for a quick look.
Clayton Lindsey