Power Supply Options

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Dani

Power Supply Options

Post by Dani »

What options are there for a power supply for a Goto telescope mount? I'm on my second one. I've only had it for only six months and it stopped working. What has worked well for you?
I am new to MAS. I appreciate being able to connect with the forum community.
Dani
Enberg

Re: Power Supply Options

Post by Enberg »

Are you talking about the mount quit working, or the power source (battery) quit working? The "power supply" could also be the transformer that takes 120V and converts it to 12VDC.

Have you tried using different power sources, such as standard 120V, 12V battery packs, etc. to figure out where the problem is? Most of the go-to mounts I have seen use 12VDC with some means of using 120V standard plugs and a converter.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
Dani

Post by Dani »

It is the power source that quit working. What do you use for a battery pack?
Dani
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

I have a 12VDC rechargeable battery, with a cigarette lighter socket soldered to the battery terminals. The recharger plugs into the wall and has a cigarette lighter male plug on it. You can buy automobile jump-starters for about $40 if your mount doesn't draw much power. My battery is the same guts as these starters, without the fancy plastic case or jumper cables.

I need to get a 120V cord with converter, for use at observing sites where power is available to plug in.

I don't have a go-to mount, but I do have a dew heater system and an equatorial platform for my dobsonian. Both of these use the cigarette-lighter plug-in for 12V DC.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
clayton

Post by clayton »

I do not have a Goto mount to power. My power requirements are quite small.

I power my dew heaters from a DIY pack: 7.5ah AGM battery ( ~$15.00 used, or free if you know a security guy ; they replace them fairly often), with a 12vdc plug ( ~$5.00) stored in a Plastic Tool Box for a case ( $2.00 Goodwill) .
I recharge with a Battery Tender Jr 12 Volt 0.75 Amp Battery Charger (~30.00 check the net for best prices). Total $52.00

I use a 120AC to 12vdc regulated Power Supply for power where AC is available. I got the psu in an equipment trade, but would look at pyramid psu if I was buying now. I don't need it but would probably buy a 10 amp model for future use.

Assuming you have something Like http://www.optcorp.com/celestron-12v-17 ... eviews-tab I've heard they fail a lot. Automobile Jumper Packs have some of the same issues but may be better quality.

Cloudy Nights has a relatively new thread on alternatives. http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/45104 ... use/page-2

I think Deep cycle marine batteries are used successfully for others in the group but require a little more DIY.

If you want to buy quality one option is http://www.kendrickastro.com/battery.html. My DIY is basically equivalent to there $129.00 208 Power Pack. 1/2 the cost but it has a little duck tape. If I had a lot of gear their power panels look attractive from a time savings standpoint. Although I am sure a DIY project would be a little cheaper.
Clayton Lindsey