Upcoming Virgo Venture - Friday, May 15th

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

Upcoming Virgo Venture - Friday, May 15th

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings observers,

The Virgo Venture is just around the corner! This is the evening where we focus on the multitudinous faint fuzzy objects in the constellation Virgo. There is much to see and we'll have a bit of a contest while we're at it. Stay tuned for more information, Greg's star chart, and the list of objects.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
amanfredi

Re: Upcoming Virgo Venture - Friday, May 15th

Post by amanfredi »

I think the start times of the Virgo events on the web calendar is messed up. They show up as 7:30am.
clayton

Post by clayton »

Updated. Thanks.
Clayton Lindsey
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

Also, at The Virgo Venture, I have a B-SIG Spring Challenge list for those who are working on general use of their optics, and learning the sky. The Virgo Venture focuses in on faint galaxies in one section of the sky. The B-SIG Challenge lists are 15 or so objects that are more like the kind of thing you would showcase to the public if you are running a telescope at Eagle Lake, or to your friends in your backyard.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Great idea, Nancy!!!

For those of you wanting to go after those faint fuzzies, I'll be attaching both the list and Greg H.'s infamous star chart as soon as I can figure out how to get this discussion forum software to allow me to upload pdfs....

Sadly, the weather isn't looking too good for Friday at this moment...
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
merle

Post by merle »

jjones7777 wrote:I'll be attaching both the list and Greg H.'s infamous star chart as soon as I can figure out how to get this discussion forum software to allow me to upload pdfs....
Jerry,

Links to the afore mentioned list and chart are on the "Virgo Venture" webpage, along with info on the venture and the upcoming dates from the event calendar. To make the link to the Virgo Venture webpage on your forum post, add the url link:
"url=http://www.mnastro.org/virgo-venture/]WEBLINK TEXT (V. V. webpage)[/url"
To active above link, replace the quotation marks with brackets… change " " to [ ]

http://www.mnastro.org/virgo-venture/

FYI - This holds true for the other CGO events, the Messier Marathon and the Fall Mini Messier (4m) with information and links to finder charts. These pages are here as the "one stop spot" for information regarding each event. If you have additional information, general event updates, additional charts, etc., we can can make those changes to the webpage.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Thanks for posting it, Merle.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

It's not looking very good for either tomorrow night or Saturday night at either CGO or LLCC. I'll post the official by 4:00 pm tomorrow.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair