Mount Suggestions

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Onego98

Mount Suggestions

Post by Onego98 »

Hello,

I have a Skywatcher 100mm refractor telescope that weighs about 18-22 pounds depending what is attached to it. I have an equatorial mount that works well but am looking for something lighter for quick observations. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest an Alt. Az. mount that would support the weight and would be easy to move and set up?

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Onego98

Re: Mount Suggestions

Post by Onego98 »

It looks like someone posted that question on the Cloudy Nights website recently and got a few replies. Here is the thread if anyone is interested. http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/50191 ... ggestions/

From some quick searching yesterday it looks like the Explore Scientific Heavy Duty Twilight II Mount might be suitable. I'd be a little sad to pay the $500 for it but that seems to be around the going rate for mounts that can carry more than 20 pounds.
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

I just happen to have an Explore Scientific Twilight II mount I would like to sell. It has the extension pier also. I would like to get $300 for it if you are interested. It is a beautiful mount, and this one is like new. Let me know if you are interested.
Onego98

Post by Onego98 »

I think I might be interested in that. Could you let me know what you have used it for and how you liked it?

Thank you,
Scott
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

We have used it for outreach/group viewing which it is very good for, 2 scopes no waiting. But mainly to carry 2 scopes, 1 widefield like our Celestron HD 102 and a small SCT. No switching scopes and eyepieces in the dark as much when wandering the sky. It also can handle 1 scope of course up to about 30 lb I think. I really like the mount, I really like things that are put together so well, very smooth and adjustable for whatever. There are many reviews on cloudynights, etc that you should check out. I can send you some photos if you would like. Let me know @ foxes.8899 at gmail.com.
Thanks,
Lonnie/Jenna