UPDATE: Farewell to Ottewell's Astronomical Calendar - IT'S BACK!!

Forum for the discussion of astronomy books, magazines, movies, documentaries, web videos, astronomy apps, etc.

Moderator: Lilah

Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

For those unfamiliar with Guy Ottewell's Astronomical Calendar, I'm afraid you've missed it. This year marks the FINAL edition.

Oh, Guy will still be publishing to his blog ( http://universalworkshop.com/guysblog/2 ... ng-giants/), but that big ol' 11X17 almanac - which was my annual welcome to the new year - will no longer be published.

If you've never seen it, you really should give it a look... Or... maybe not. If it's going away, do you REALLY want to find out what you've been missing, now, when it's too late? I'll let you decide: http://www.universalworkshop.com/AC.htm

It's a comprehensive... Wait, no, I mean REALLY comprehensive. I know marketing-types toss that word around with abandon, but here is the TRUE use of it. It's a comprehensive view of everything going on astronomically in that calendar year. Not just in lists, but in tables, charts, diagrams, and creative, detailed, and data-rich infographics. It really is a sight to behold. The way he presents the data, especially the positions of objects in space, gives you a real and tangible sense of where everything is.
Last edited by Ron Schmit on Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markjob

Re: Farewell to Ottewell's Astronomical Calendar

Post by markjob »

Ron you are on the mark, the calendar is COMPREHENSIVE! I have one. I will miss it next year. Thanks for the reminder. Guess I will have to use the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Observers Handbook as a suitable substitute. Not going to be the same but I will have the last three years as souvenirs.

Maybe we can hope someone can pick this up.........

Mark
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Ashamed to say I have bought one copy each of the Ottewell calendar and RASC handbook, and then promptly ignored them for the whole year :roll:
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Well what do you know...? All the crap of these last three years and here we get this little jewel emerging from the fog!

Ottewell's calendar is back for 2023!!!
It was popular as a printed book from 1974 to 2016, used by thousands of sky-lovers in more than 100 countries. It then continued as an electronic book. For 2023 it has reappeared, in both forms, printed and electronic.

It has 139 letter-size pages, and hundreds of illustrations, including charts and 3-D views of space. For each month there are 6 pages, with about 50 events, sky dome, diagram of where the planets are in their orbits, and 20 of the most interesting sky scenes. Then there are several-page sections on the Sun and seasons; the Moon; eclipses; occultations; each planet; asteroids; meteor showers. There is a full explanation of the main features, and a glossary of terms.

The printed book is handy for referring from page to page. Coming to a date when there is a meteor shower or an opposition of Jupiter, you can also turn to the full information in the section on the planet or the “Meteors” section. You can compare the globe pictures for the April and October solar eclipses.
A LOVELY resource - everything you need for the year - in a unique and fascinating format. Available in printed ($21) and electronic form ($12.)

https://www.universalworkshop.com/astro ... ndar-2023/
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

I'm definitely getting the PDF version!
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

I received the hard copy version a few days ago. It's not quite the same as the "large" version Ottewell produced for many years, but its still pretty cool. It's such a unique product. I missed it when he wasn't producing them for a few years.

Suresh
Attachments
20221119_225452.jpg
20221119_225452.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 5796 times
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Sureshks wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 am I received the hard copy version a few days ago. It's not quite the same as the "large" version Ottewell produced for many years, but its still pretty cool. It's such a unique product. I missed it when he wasn't producing them for a few years.

Suresh
How big is it now? I thought I heard in a review that it was smaller.

Also, what is the paper like? The paper the old version was printed on had a hard surface making it just a little bit better for dew resistance.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
markjob

Re: UPDATE: Farewell to Ottewell's Astronomical Calendar - IT'S BACK!!

Post by markjob »

I have the PDF.

Just a treat. I missed it.

Mark
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

SEmert wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:52 pm
Sureshks wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 am I received the hard copy version a few days ago. It's not quite the same as the "large" version Ottewell produced for many years, but its still pretty cool. It's such a unique product. I missed it when he wasn't producing them for a few years.

Suresh

Also, what is the paper like? The paper the old version was printed on had a hard surface making it just a little bit better for dew resistance.
There is a review on Amazon pointing out that it is 8.5x11” now and doesn’t use the glossier paper.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

Deane Clark wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:15 pm
SEmert wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Suresh

There is a review on Amazon pointing out that it is 8.5x11” now and doesn’t use the glossier paper.
The PDF is formatted for 8.5x11", so that is what I expect for the hard copy in terms of sizing.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

Suresh
His website noted that the old hard copies were printed in two color, but the PDFs for 2022 and 2023 are four color. What is used for the 2023 hard copy?
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

FF2Rydia wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:32 pm His website noted that the old hard copies were printed in two color, but the PDFs for 2022 and 2023 are four color. What is used for the 2023 hard copy?
Just got my copy, and it's full color. I'm nostalgic for the original 'large' format, and I'm not a fan of the cheap paper used in the new edition, but the new smaller size means it'll be easier to store and use. And PDF's are really handy as well!