2016 NNSF Registration is Open

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

clayton

2016 NNSF Registration is Open

Post by clayton »

The 2016 NNSF Registration is Open. The Registration fee is $50.00 but otherwise the rates are the same as 2015. There is an optional field trip that is dependent on number of persons signing up.

This year we have an on-line registration form that is hosted by LLCC. It requires you to register to complete the form.

Optional Field Trip
Dark Matter research? Are you interested
in a bus trip to theSoudan Underground
Lab
? (Date to be determined.) The cost is
projected to be under $40.00 per person,
and will decrease as the number of
participants increase. Fee is payable on
the date of the tour. We need at least 10
participants to make this feasible.
Clayton Lindsey
Kyle Nordstrom

Re: 2016 NNSF Registration is Open

Post by Kyle Nordstrom »

Hey there! Just about to get registered for this. Just had a quick question about the field trip, which me and my girlfriend are interested in. We won't be attending until Thursday afternoonish, so I was wondering when, and if we plan on following through with the field trip? Thanks!
"Tasco 'Zip' " 10x 50 Binoculars
"Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars"
"Celestron C6 SCT" Scratch that this actually just upgraded to a "Celestron C8 SCT"
"Starblast - 4.5 Inch Dobsonian Reflector Telescope"
Accessories: 1.25 in. 17MM Explorer, 6MM Explorer,9 and 20mm Orion Expanse, 32mm Sirius Plossl, 5MM Paradigm, 2x and 3x barlow
Mount: Celestron AVX, Astro-Tech Voyager 1 Alt-Az mount
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Kyle, I do hope that the two of you can make it, but the organized tours are on Thursday, time to be determined, but quite possibly starting late morning.

This is what we do know:
*There will be a Particle Physics Lab tour http://www.sudan.umn.edu/ organized in conjunction with the University of Minnesota (note: This may be the last season for Lab tours http://scienceline.org/2016/01/retiring-a-detector/)
*A mine tour is also available for those interested
*Transport is by personal vehicle, approximately 2½ hour drive (we've identified that a significant number plan to travel by personal car allowing them to stop when and where they wish; a bus for a few people is cost prohibitive)
*The only costs (other than your transportation and meals) are the fees for each of the tours (more on this later)
*There will be no formal presentations at LLCC on Thursday, but there will be optional activities
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Kyle Nordstrom

Post by Kyle Nordstrom »

Quick question, was the 40$ taking into account a bus ride to the tour? I'm just wondering if me and my family should sign up for the 10am tour ahead of time, or if we're doing some sort of a group package. Thanks!!

-Kyle
"Celestron C6 SCT" Scratch that this actually just upgraded to a "Celestron C8 SCT"
Accessories: 1.25 in. 17MM Explorer, 6MM Explorer,9 and 20mm Orion Expanse, 32mm Sirius Plossl, 5MM Paradigm, 2x and 3x barlow
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You can disregard the originally posted $40 (calculated when we thought we would need to provide bus transportation). The fee for a normal Lab tour is $12 for each adult, but we may be getting a break on that. Details are not firmed up (depending in part on how many show interest during NNSF registration), but we are working to get a Lab tour (or tours; group size is limited) arranged specifically for NNSF participants.

So I would suggest that you do not make reservations through the DNR reservation site; we hope to have a program tailored for us that is in addition to those available to the general public.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Steve Baranski

Post by Steve Baranski »

I just registered - Looking forward to NNSF - did not see a cutoff date for ordering meals - do we have one this year ( don't want people to miss out, it is great food, and great company! )

Steve
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Glad to see that you'll be there Steve!

All Registrations are due by August 26th. I believe you can order food to that date, but I'm double checking with LLCC.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Although LLCC established the cutoff date of August 26th for registration and ordering meals, we are approaching capacity. We are two thirds full now and must stop registration when we reach the limit.

This is the last year for public tours to the Soudan Lab. Don't miss the interesting speakers, the chance to talk with other amateur astronomers, and the dark skies of Northern Minnesota!
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
tugger

Post by tugger »

I am wondering if I have to register if I plan on staying for parts of Friday night? Classes start soon and I can't make all the days so I was planning on leaving Friday after my class (between 10:00 and 12:00) and then returning to the cities early Saturday (maybe leave around 02:00 at the latest) morning. I would NOT be staying at LLCC so that's the question about registering - I would just be 'visiting' for a few hours.

Thank you.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm sorry you won't be able to take advantage of all we have to offer, but yes, you do need to register. Unlike normal star parties, this is a paid event with attendance capped at how many people we can support on and off the field. All of the activities at this event are intended for registered participants.

That said, we typically have two weekends per month, Spring through Fall, where members are welcome to gather for the star parties at LLCC. We also have a Public Star Party coming up this fall, details to be announced. If NNSF doesn't work for you this year, we hope you can make it to our other events.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Wayne wrote:You can disregard the originally posted $40 (calculated when we thought we would need to provide bus transportation). The fee for a normal Lab tour is $12 for each adult, but we may be getting a break on that. Details are not firmed up (depending in part on how many show interest during NNSF registration), but we are working to get a Lab tour (or tours; group size is limited) arranged specifically for NNSF participants.

So I would suggest that you do not make reservations through the DNR reservation site; we hope to have a program tailored for us that is in addition to those available to the general public.
Is there also the normal state park fee per vehicle at Soudan Mine State Park?
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
tugger

Post by tugger »

Wayne wrote:Although LLCC established the cutoff date of August 26th for registration and ordering meals, we are approaching capacity. We are two thirds full now and must stop registration when we reach the limit.

This is the last year for public tours to the Soudan Lab. Don't miss the interesting speakers, the chance to talk with other amateur astronomers, and the dark skies of Northern Minnesota!
How do we tell how many spots are left? If I'm coming up for about 6 hours, it doesn't make sense to waste a spot for that little time when someone else may stay for the whole time.

The Door Prizes are only open to registered participants?
Thanks
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Deane, vehicle permits are required for most state park activities but are not required in the main visitor lot (where you will probably want to park) outside of the mine.

http://dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/lake ... index.html

We'll have more details about the tour prior to the NNSF.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

tugger wrote:How do we tell how many spots are left? If I'm coming up for about 6 hours, it doesn't make sense to waste a spot for that little time when someone else may stay for the whole time.

The Door Prizes are only open to registered participants?
Thanks
Robert, we will occasionally post how many are registered in this Forum.

On Wednesday, we had 38 people registered. When we hit our capacity of 60, we stop taking registrations (or sooner if we run out of rooms before that, but could still take registrations for those not staying on campus, up to the limit of 60).

We still have space available. I think everyone wants to stay for the entire event, but it is not unusual for people to come late or leave early due to outside commitments. All participants must register, but you reserve a room or pay for meals only if that is what you want.

Prizes (winners chosen by lot) are given out Saturday evening to registered participants (LLCC Committee members are not eligible). Winners must be present to win.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Kyle Nordstrom

Post by Kyle Nordstrom »

Hey guys, just wondering if we ended up getting the reservations for the Physics lab? If so, what time and day will it be happening? I have Thursday off so I guess I'm just wondering when I need to be at the lab!

Thanks!

-Kyle
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Kyle, the Soudan Physics Lab Tours are on Thursday, 9/1/2016. Due to the high interest (and limit on the number of participants they can handle per tour), we will have two tours: Noon and at 2:00 pm. These tours are special events for NNSF participants, they are not the tours available to the general public.

We will be following up with more details soon.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

We are eagerly looking forward to the 8th Northern Nights Star Fest beginning on August 31st, 2016.

Forget about light pollution! Enjoy the view through your own telescope and the 25" and 30" Obsession scopes. Two cooked meals a day. Sleep in the cozy rooms, each with 4 bunk beds, a shower and a restroom. Attend presentations on Friday and Saturday and tour the home of 25 years of research into the universe on Thursday. And if you still don't have enough to do, go hiking or canoeing. Bring your camera!

To accommodate all of those interested in the Soudan Physics Lab, two tours have been scheduled on September 1st. The Noon tour is full, but there is still some room in the 2:00 pm tour.

Tour details:
Transport: By private vehicle. Car pool with a friend!
Check-in: Arrive 30 minutes prior to tour (time to check in and use restroom).
Cost: Discounted group tour rate of $11.00 per person.
Payment: One person in group collects the money from each person and pays for the group.
Parking is free (no state park vehicle permit required) if you use the main visitor parking lot outside of the mine.
Approach the mine from the West (McKinley Park Rd.). The Eastern approach is under construction.
Please be on time. If you are late, you will miss the tour.
Dress warm: It is 51⁰F.
Mine Tour: If you wish to also take the iron ore mine tour, you may sign up for one of the public tours on-line https://reservations2.usedirect.com/Min ... tours.aspx. Make sure that this tour does not overlap with your Lab tour.
More info: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ ... tours.html

We still have room for a dozen observers and imagers. Sign up at https://longlakecc.campbrainregistration.com/.

Looking forward to seeing you and experiencing another great NNSF!

Curious but not sure? Check out http://www.mnastro.org/northern-nights-star-fest/
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
johnkra

Post by johnkra »

John Krawczak is registered for NNSF. I didn't originally sign up for the tour but would like to now for the 2:00 tour. It does not appear possible to amend my LL registration online.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

johnkra wrote:John Krawczak is registered for NNSF. I didn't originally sign up for the tour but would like to now for the 2:00 tour. It does not appear possible to amend my LL registration online.
You are now on the 2:00 pm Soudan Lab tour!
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
ValtsTreibergs

2016 NNSF On-Line Feedback Survey

Post by ValtsTreibergs »

Thank you for your participation in NNSF at Long Lake Conservation Center this year. We hope that you had a wonderful weekend of observing - I know that I did!

The MAS LLCC Committee is always looking for feedback, so that we can keep making NNSF better year after year.

Please follow this link to complete the brief on-line survey. You can identify yourself or keep anonymous - it is up to you. The LLCC committee will keep all data confidential and is strictly used to improve NNSF.

Feedback Survey Link: https://goo.gl/forms/QC72nTkZV8UolIgf2

Even if you did not make it to NNSF - feel free to participate in the survey and share your thoughts and ideas!

Thank you and clear skies!
Valts Treibergs
Optics: Takahashi Epsilon-160 / Edmund 8" 4001 / Brashear 4" Achromat / Gaertner 6" Achromat
Cameras: Canon 60Da, QHY-22, QHY-533M, TIS color&mono, Point Grey Flea color USB3, T7C
Mount: Losmandy G-11 w/Gemini-II