Final Dream Scope

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

Ever read a good book and discover that the last page is missing?

Well.....
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Deane,

Hey, I made a decision! Didn't I?

John,

Wow, another virtue! First generosity, now patience. I am impressed! :wink:

Ron,

Think of it as a series. You know, like star wars 1,2,3,etc.. Gives you something to look forward to! :D

All,

Best Regards,
Clear Skies,
Kurt
SEmert

Maybe you'd better not wait a year!

Post by SEmert »

I just saw something that may make you reconsider your decision to hold off a year!

I was reading Rod Molisse's latest newsletter this weekend. In it, he talked about Celestron's most recent financial problems, with their "resolution" of selling themselves to Synta.

So, Celestron is now owned by a Chinese company. Also, Meade's financials haven't been all that strong as of late. As a result, there is a strong possibility that both Celestron and Meade will begin moving manufacture of their SCT's to China in the near future.

Rod speculates that we are nearing the end of the "Golden Era of the SCT". Meade and Celestron quality suffered in the Halley Comet days around 1985 because demand was so high. It took some time to recover and by 1995 or so, SCT optic quality became quite high for the US-made SCT's. Now, if manufacturing of these SCT's actually does go offshore, optical quality is bound to suffer for some time until they regain the necessary expertise.

So... maybe it's time to buy the SCT you've always wanted, while you can get a US-made one!

(Disclaimer: These claims are mainly Rod Molisse's - I'm just parroting them!)
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the heads-up. I always enjoy Rod's 'SkyWatch' as well, but I had not yet read the Spring 05 issue!

I honestly think that one of the motivations for wanting these one of these big SCTs was the fear that they may not be available for long! I know Celestron has more or less abandoned the 'Fastar' concept, relying on Starizona to produce the 'HyperStar' and even modify their 11 inch scopes. I noted the big price reduction on the Meade 16" with the introduction of their new RCX line and wondered how long they will continue to produce the 16 inch SCT. The possibility of the optics production being moved to China adds further uncertainty.

When I shared your message with my wife she said that maybe I should buy a replacement (complete with fork mount and electronics) for the 16 in my observatory. Sort of a backup scope. I could then, I think, remove the optical tube from my current LX200 and use it with one of the GEMS.

I still worry about the 'Fastar' compatible C14 too!

I guess I am undecided again! :shock:

Thanks again,
Clear Skies,
Kurt
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Kurt:

Here's the ideal solution! Buy Celestron & Meade (the companies, not the scopes!) and then you'll have whatever you want, whenever you want, AND you can gift John with any scope you want. I'd be happy to come join the combined firm heading up the sales group for you.
Jon Hickman
youngsww

Post by youngsww »

Gosh Darn, Kurt. What would you do without friends?!

John
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Jon,

Thanks for the solution! I'll consider it! If I could afford it, I can't, the government wouldn't let me buy them both anyway. Then I would be back to the same decision - Celestron OR Meade. So, not all that much help after all!

By the way, aren't you awaiting an RCX from Meade? Gee, how about you buy Meade or Celestron (the company, not the scope) then you and your friends could get an employee discount? We are friends, right?!!

John,

I don't know what I would do without my friends! I hope I'll never find out!

Deane,

That indecision comment really hurt!

All,
Best Regards,
Clear Skies,
Kurt
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Kurt A. Casby wrote: Deane,

That indecision comment really hurt!
Actually, the beauty of "splunge" is that it has no negative connotation. It's an assertive, decisive declaration that you've decided not to make a decision :)
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org