Public Star Party, June 25, 2016

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

merle

Public Star Party, June 25, 2016

Post by merle »

Despite the forecast of severe weather, we had a great star party last night. We were short handed and could have used another couple of keyholders, but we got by.

Vikings running back Matt Asiata was there along with the video crew shooting for a Fox TV program to air in the fall. It was a small crowd for as nice a night it turned into (I'd guess 50-60 guests). I think the doomsday forecast scared everyone else away. We had the McLeod County 4-H Bear Lake Beavers (part of which are pictured below), and campers from the campgrounds.

As you may have guessed with the forecast of rain, we started mostly overcast, but by 8:00 or so there was a clearing line allowing us to see the sun, shortly after that Jupiter became visible through the clouds. When the clouds thickened over Jupiter, we moved to Mars that was in clear skies. From that point, as we got closer to sunset, it became nearly completely clear. All in all a great night considering the forecast for severe weather.

I'd like to thank Dave and Dave (sounds like a group from the 60's), Dave Falkner entertained Matt and the video crew, showing them the facilities at ELO and manning the scopes, and Dave Sjogren, who not only helped man the scopes but was responsible for literally making us look good by manicuring the lawn around the plaza. I'm not sure what the mowing schedule of the park is, but it doesn't seem to coincide with the public star parties. Dave has been coming out with soil to fill in the low spots and mowing and trimming around the plaza before our star parties… the place hasn't looked this nice in years. Thanks Dave… and Dave.

Merle
-
Attachments
Viking Matt Asiata_3824.jpg
Viking Matt Asiata_3824.jpg (61.24 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com