Scopes Gathering Dust

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Dave Olmstead

Scopes Gathering Dust

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Sigh... am I the only one who is getting depressed due to photon deprivation? I like looking at my scopes sitting in the corner but darn. This weather just sucks, and the scopes are just a gatherin dust.

Lodge your complaints here. No buying anything new! We are being jinxed, grumble, grumble, grumble:-(
David Olmstead
One of the Scope Wranglers
david@davidolmstead.com
Chautauqua

Here's a Thought...

Post by Chautauqua »

I've taken up birdwatching. You get amazing detail if you can manage to keep a bird in your field of view for more than a half second or so...
Glenn Lee
Northfield, MN

Orion 20 X 80 mm binoculars and a
well-practiced squint.
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Re: Scopes Gathering Dust

Post by Jon Hickman »

olmstead wrote:No buying anything new! We are being jinxed, grumble, grumble, grumble:-(
Probably not a good time to mention that Meade contacted me yesterday to say that the 10" & 12" RC's are shipping, so they are ready to start building the 14" units that were pre-ordered...wanted to know who I wanted to buy mine from...
Jon Hickman
Dave Olmstead

Re: Here's a Thought...

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Chautauqua wrote:I've taken up birdwatching. You get amazing detail if you can manage to keep a bird in your field of view for more than a half second or so...
Not a bad idea! Jackie (Buzzygirl) pointed out a pair of nesting bald eagles to me recently that I would like to try to photograph. The eagles are right off highway 36 just east of 35E. There is also an eagle's nest on my drive out to Onan that I could try to image through my scope.
David Olmstead
david@davidolmstead.com
Dave Olmstead

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Jon Hickman wrote:
olmstead wrote:No buying anything new! We are being jinxed, grumble, grumble, grumble:-(
Probably not a good time to mention that Meade contacted me yesterday to say that the 10" & 12" RC's are shipping, so they are ready to start building the 14" units that were pre-ordered...wanted to know who I wanted to buy mine from...
Between you and that Casby fella the new scope jinx will be with us all summer:-) So, Jon, did you order the 14? Have fun lifting that monster!
David Olmstead
david@davidolmstead.com
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Hi Dave,

Yup, I get depressed with the constant clouds. All my scopes, except the few inside the house, are covered or cased, so they don't get dusty! The ones in the house get dusty no matter what the weather.

With regard to "that Casby fella", I am just testing a theory that the power of the new scope jinx varies inversely with the number of scopes! Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it! I'm going to call Astronomics in a few minutes and order up a little fella!

Glenn,

You description sound a lot like high power planetary viewing with an alt/az mount!

Jon,

When Meade called, did you tender an offer for the company? What dealer are you going to 'buy' the scope from? I'd love to see it, or even look through it, when it gets here.

All,

Best Regards,
Clear Skies,
Kurt
Dave Olmstead

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Kurt A. Casby wrote:Hi Dave,

With regard to "that Casby fella", I am just testing a theory that the power of the new scope jinx varies inversely with the number of scopes! Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it! I'm going to call Astronomics in a few minutes and order up a little fella!

Kurt
Kurt,

Of course I am pointing fingers only in good fun! All of us here are scope nuts:-) Now what are you up to? Ordering a big Cassegrain?? We are doomed:-) Befallen us the "Casby Curse" has. Begun the "Cloud Wars" have:-)
David Olmstead
david@davidolmstead.com
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

olmstead wrote:So, Jon, did you order the 14? Have fun lifting that monster!
I haven't yet. I did ask if the company might be for sale, but even tho he's a VP, he claimed he had no idea.... Between the weight of the scope (and lack of permanent lodging...) and not yet having thought up a good story to explain why I need to spend another 8-9K to look at "little white dots" I'm not sure that I'm ging to actually order the thing... I'll wait and see how I do tonight in the lottery!
Jon Hickman
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Dave,

Glad to hear that, you really had me worried! In all my years, and they are many, no one has referred to me in such terms as: "that Casby fella". Considering all the many ways they have referred to me, I think I like yours better! As for being responsible for the crappy (can I say that here?) weather, I've got broad shoulders! Again, all my life it seems I have been a model of responsibility, as every time anything went wrong, everyone agreed that I was responsible.

No big SCT, .... yet. You will laugh when I tell you I ordered a Celestron Nextstar 80GT from Astronomics. They are on sale for $279. I think it is a close out deal as they have been replaced in Celestron's line. I have a project (something to do during crappy weather!) in mind for the mount!

Jon,

Do you need the story to convince yourself or someone else? Perhaps I can help if you need it as I have lots of experience convincing myself *and* my wife that I *need* to buy (fill in the blank). For example, if you had one of them new 14 inch RC scopes from Meade you would be able to see that all the dots are not white! I can come up with a rationalization for just about anything you want to do!

You are right, of course, it will be heavy! My sons, both adults with kids of their own, and I often refer to the line from Jurassic Park: "is it heavy? Then put it down it must be expensive". Funny how true that is sometimes.

All,
Clear Skies!
Kurt
Dave Olmstead

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Ah, Kurt, an 80GT. I bet I know what you have planned for that little goto mount. You are going to mount a green laser pointer on it so you have goto pointing to show the neighbors where things are in the sky?? Hmm, actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea... we could make a fortune!
David Olmstead
david@davidolmstead.com
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Dave,

You guessed it! Actually I intend to try the Tak Sky90 and a C-5 on it (separately, not simultaneously). I also ordered a do-dad from Alpine Astro :

http://www.alpineastro.com/mounting_acc ... sories.htm

not sure what I'll do with the actual telescope! :0)

To tell you the truth, I think someone could make some money making a slightly larger version of that mount. All the people buying the expensive alt/az mounts (you know, guys like you and I!!) might be willing to pony up a fair price for a mount like this big enough to hold a 4" or so refractor. I don't care much one way or the other about the GOTO, but the tracking is something I appreciate very much!

German equatorials are a pain to set up and take down no matter how you slice it! Very nice and useful mounts, but still a pain!

Hope your skies clear soon!

Best Regards,
Kurt
Dave Olmstead

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Kurt A. Casby wrote:
Dave,

You guessed it! Actually I intend to try the Tak Sky90 and a C-5 on it (separately, not simultaneously). I also ordered a do-dad from Alpine Astro :
Hey, that is a great idea, Kurt. I have ordered a few things from Alpine Astronomical and have always been pleased with the product and the service. I would be curious to see how this little Baader gizmo works for you. I just happen to have a little Pronto that would fit perfectly on such a mount. Please keep me informed as to performance and stability. The red ball is an interesting touch, don't you think?

Regards,

Dave
David Olmstead
david@davidolmstead.com
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Dave,

Yes, the red ball is what clinched the deal! I did notice that some of the pictures they have of the unit in use have black balls. I sure hope mine comes red!

I'll keep you posted on whether or not it works at all, and if it does, how stable and 'usable' it is!

Best Regards,
Kurt
Chautauqua

Cross your fingers, but...

Post by Chautauqua »

...Saturday night is looking halfway promising. Clear sky clock shows clear Saturday morning, but there is a large swirl of overcast following that "may" move east by evening.

Crossing fingers, toes, etc.

Glenn
Glenn Lee
Northfield, MN

well-practiced squint.
Chautauqua

Well, forget Saturday

Post by Chautauqua »

Well, forget Saturday night.

But Sunday night looks more than likely.
Glenn Lee
Northfield, MN

well-practiced squint.
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

well that looks good for the students. I just heard sunny and 63 for sunday daytime.
Dick Jacobson

No cloud problems for this scope

Post by Dick Jacobson »

If you're depressed with the non-stop clouds, check out this picture from the May 9 Aviation Week at http://www.mnastro.org/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=111. This is a Celestron 11 on an unusual mount. NASA has two of these for taking pictures of the Shuttle. At 60,000 feet, clouds shouldn't be much of a problem!

NASA won't be using these very often, so if we talk nice to Mr. Griffin, the new NASA administrator, maybe he'll let us borrow one for stargazing.
Chautauqua

Wow!

Post by Chautauqua »

60,000 feet? I'm not very good with heights....
Glenn Lee
Northfield, MN

well-practiced squint.