Upcoming MAS Mini-Messier Marathon

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

Upcoming MAS Mini-Messier Marathon

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings fellow photon chasers,

The time for the annual MAS Mini-Messier Marathon at CGO is upon us! The dates are Friday, September 30th, with Saturday October 1st being the alternate. Rob Zylka will again be your host for the evening. As with all of the Major MAS Star Parties, this one will have a GO-NO GO call that will be listed on the MAS main webpage before 4:00 pm of the observing day (the MAS message service will not be used this time).

The forms for the 4M can be found here: http://www.mnastro.org/mini-messier-marathon/ . While the list says 2014, it will work for 2016.

The goal of the 4M is similar to the actually Messier Marathon in March: to observe as many of the Messier objects as possible, without the use of a GOTO scope or digital setting circles. You will be expected to log the time of your observation along w/ any notes you might want to add. It's called the MINI Messier Marathon because fewer Messier objects are visible during the fall as opposed to the spring.

The PRIZES will be (Did he say PRIZES?!):
1st place: your choice between a MAS sweatshirt, a MAS t-shirt, a MAS mug, or a MAS ball cap (do you sense the trend here?)
2nd place: your choice of whatever is left
3rd place: your choice of whatever is left

Once you have completed your form, give it to Rob that evening or mail it to me at 1212 Linden Street W, Stillwater, MN 55082 or email it to jjones7777@aol.com. The prizes will be awarded at the November 3rd MAS meeting.

Even if you are not interested in winning one of these fabulous prizes, you are welcome to come out and simply enjoy the great night sky with great friends.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here on this thread.

Let's get out there and observe!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
rzylka

Re: Upcoming MAS Mini-Messier Marathon

Post by rzylka »

Well Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you all know that I am looking forward to next Friday. This will be my 2nd star party and I sure hope this one is even better than the last. Last time was the Virgo Venture and the weather was good and we even had some Northern Lights show up. I will be keeping my eyes on the weather so you don't have to. Just watch our forum and I will keep you all updated. I think I will even give this marathon a try with my 4 inch refractor. Should be a lot of fun if we can chase the clouds away. Rob
rzylka

Post by rzylka »

Just a update. In case you didn't see in the Cherry Grove forum there was a question about the field condition so I will go over tomorrow and let everyone know how it looks. I know its a few days away yet but I am getting a pretty good feeling we could be out there. Rob
rzylka

Post by rzylka »

Hello again, Well according to Ray the field is in fine condition but from what I've seen from the weather sites the clouds do look like a problem. We all know though it may change again. We will post the go or no go by 4 pm tomorrow. I still think I will see y'all tomorrow. Rob
setnes

Post by setnes »

I hope to come down if the forecast clears up. Right now it's not looking good for Friday or Saturday though.
setnes

Post by setnes »

Rob,

Cherry Grove looks pretty cloudy tonight. The Clear Sky Chart is showing things might be better in Cherry Grove tomorrow.

Are you making an official call on this today?

Oddly enough the charts are showing fairly clear skies at Eagle Lake tonight despite the actual weather forecast.... and golf traffic.
rzylka

Post by rzylka »

Yes I will make the official call at 4 but it does not make sense to have people get down there and set up to watch clouds roll in. It's hard to call because its so nice now. Rob
rzylka

Post by rzylka »

Well ya know I am new at this and it seems wrong to call off tonight's star party when its so nice but everything I see says clouds moving in early tonight. But now I see that clear sky says clear tomorrow night so tonight mini messier star party is canceled for tonight. Lets hope for tomorrow. Sorry gang.
Rob
rzylka

Post by rzylka »

I think Tonight's Mini Messier Star Party on Oct 1,2016 is ON. Looks pretty good so hope to see a few people tonight. See you there. Rob
setnes

Post by setnes »

The sky last night was spectacular. The farm trucks were busy, but tapered off as it got later. I recorded 44 objects before I decided to go home. I needed to use a hair dryer part way through the evening. I could have easily gotten more, but had to call it a night. I gave my check list to Rob. I hope the sheets are less soggy when I get them back.

I think there were about 6 or 7 of us there (??)... most not very concerned about recording Messier objects.