Lunar Observing Assignment One

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Kirk

Lunar Observing Assignment One

Post by Kirk »

Lunar Observing Assignment: Number 1

This is the first of about 11 monthly online assignments for earning the Lunar Observing Certificate through the beginner's SIG. Those of you who were at my presentation last night will recognize most of this text.

We will work together to earn the Lunar Observing certificate through the Astronomical League. If you are a MAS member this is FREE. Everyone is welcome to join us on this slow paced quest. It should take a little under a year.

If you are interested in taking part send me an email and I will send you a word file with the check off list for all 100 items. Once you have spotted the objects listed each month be sure to check in here and tell everyone. You can post any questions or problems you have for group advice here also. It would be fun if everyone says what their favorite observation was from each month as well.

This month's observations are all naked eye so you don't even need to pull out the telescope. If you don't have a telescope don't worry. Start along with us. We'll move up to binoculars in a few months and then on to telescopes but we'll try to meet up to work on those in groups.

There are only 8 observations this month and we're starting off real simple here. Since the first new moon after the May beginners meeting is on June 6th this is technically the May-June assignment. I have included recommended dates along with the observations. It may help to actually write these on your calendar so you remember. Doing the Lunar List isn't hard, it's just easy to forget to get out there and do it!

I've also included helpful web links to aid in identification. I don't have my certificate yet so I'll be doing these along with everyone else. Remember, you need the check off sheet so you can date each observation and submit the list for certification. You can print out a sheet from http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/ ... unar2.html but if you prefer to fill it in digitally send me a PM through the forum and I can email you a word file you can fill in digitally.

Here they are. For the first two you really need to be able to see the moon lit up by earthshine or it doesn't count. You'll know it when you see it. It is really beautiful. If you can't make out the "unlit" part of the moon you can't count the observation and you'll have to wait until next month.

(June 7-9th) Old Moon in New Moon's Arms
Reference see http://www.lpod.org/archive/2004/03/LPO ... 03-01.html

(June 3-5th) New Moon in Old Moon's Arms
Reference see http://www.stargazing.net/david/moon/day28h2moon.html

(June 7-8th) Crescent Moon, Waxing

(June 4-5th) Crescent Moon, Waning

Man in the Moon (May 23rd during full moon)
Woman in the Moon (May 23rd during full moon)
Rabbit in the Moon (May 23rd during full moon)
Cow Jumping Over the Moon (May 23rd during full moon)

For sketches of the last four check out http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/ ... unar3.html

Good luck!

~Kirk
Chautauqua

Lunar Observing Assignments

Post by Chautauqua »

Kirk,

I'm very interested in doing this, but do not have your e-mail address. I am an MAS member.

Mine is lee.glenn....at....mayo.edu

Thanks very much.

Glenn
Glenn Lee
Northfield, MN

Orion 20 X 80 mm binoculars and a
well-practiced squint.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hello Glen,

You actually don't need the email address to send anyone here a message. If you click on the "PM" button that sends a private message to anyone on the forum. Pretty nice actually. Since I have your address now I will send you the 100 list.

~Kirk
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Did anyone else see the moon last night? I got home at about 2:00 AM from a Midnight showing of Army of Darkness at the Uptown theater and the skies weren't too bad. It took about one minute to knock off 50% of the first month's list. If I had a simple map with me I could have easily knocked off the other four. I told you this first month would be easy!

Interestingly, when we all met I felt that the woman in the moon was far easier to see in the photos I presented but the man in the moon took a lot of imagination. The oposite seems to be true in real life. It was harder to see the woman in the moon as she takes up less space on the moon and so she looks small.

Anyone else make any observations yet?

~Kirk
mlfj4901

Post by mlfj4901 »

Greetings,

A midnight showing of "Army of Darkness"!?!?!?!!? Cool. 8) I hear Bruce is planning Evil Dead 4 as we speak...uh type.

Anyway, knocked off half the list last night as well. Anyone notice how low in the sky the moon is. Next month's full moon will be as low as the moon can go in the sky.

-matt
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

the moon was also excelent, maybe partly due to the phase it was in, sunday evening, the shadow providing some very sharp contrast of craters at the top (well, bottom in the eyepeice of a newt) for the kids to check out the fact that the moon isn't smooth.