Messier Marathon - 2017

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

Messier Marathon - 2017

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

The Messier Marathon - and the start of the official observing season - is FOUR WEEKS FROM TONIGHT!!!

It's not too soon to begin to prepare for the event (is it ever too soon to prepare to observe?). For more information, check out the Messier Marathon page at http://www.mnastro.org/messier-marathon/ . You will find telrad charts, downloadable listings, and other various Messier Marathon goodies.

As always, the 'official' marathon will be held at Cherry Grove (that is, the marathon with the PRIZES). Here's to trusting/hoping/expecting/praying that the field is dry and the skies are clear. As we get closer to the date, we'll be updating the info on the field condition, so stayed tuned. For now, dust off those scopes, dig out those charts and let's prepare for the observing season!

Clear Skies,
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
jjones7777

Re: Messier Marathon - 2017 - one week away!

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

The Messier Marathon - and the 'official' start of the observing season is one week away at CGO! Despite challenges with roll-off roofs and cattle, the clouds will open the way for us. I'll be posting weather updates as we get closer to the weekend. Time to dust off those scopes if you haven't ready done so!

As far as the field conditions are concerned, the cows have caused some damage to the field, but Vic tells me that most of it is very usable. We'll attempt to do what we can to mark the ankle-breaking spots. If anyone has any orange safety cones, please consider bringing them.

Do remember that the Messier Marathon at Cherry Grove (CGO) is a GO-NO GO 'official' MAS star party. That means that the GO-NO GO decision will be posted before 4:00 pm on Friday with the backup night being Saturday. The posting will be on the front page of the MAS website as well as on this thread.

Consider posting your intentions on attending below to encourage others to do so.

Here's to clear skies!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
SEmert

Re: Messier Marathon - 2017

Post by SEmert »

There are a few hoof divots in the area between the warming house and the BAD pad, but the majority of the damage is located along the west fence, and along the north end of the parking lot just to the east of the warming house. It shouldn't be too bad, but markers may not be a bad idea.

If the MM ends up being held Friday night I won't be able to be there, but a reminder... take caution if you are retracting the observatory roof. It may be too early yet for the frost to have gotten out to let the north end of the roof rails to lower to their normal position, so the roof may not be able to retract all the way.

The BAD will be available, though, and of course that door is not dependent upon the roof rails. Last year the Argo Navis real time clock battery failed several times, but it held steady all winter. We just returned the Argo to the BAD when we checked on the roof the other weekend. We will have to watch it this spring to see if there is something else in the scope wiring harness causing that battery to drain. Please let me know if you turn it on and it immediately reports "RTC Battery Flat". Even if the RTC battery does go bad, the scope is usable. To get correct tracking you would just have to go in to the Time menu and set the time. Remember it is DST, so we are currently GMT -5, not the normal GMT -6.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Jerry,

Per your request, I am planning to come this year for the Marathon. I'd prefer Saturday night to Friday... but if the weather is better on Friday I'll plan to attending...

Thanks for all you do for us!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hello everyone,

If it's helpful, I created a list of Messier objects by sweep order (see attached Excel file).

Starting with the elusive M74 right after dusk, I went in order of Object Set Time, with adjustments made to group objects by Constellation, R.A. or Declination, where ever it made sense to do so. The idea was to keep sweep distances between objects to a minimum, so you can be more efficient with your time. Objects further south are usually listed ahead of northern ones with similar R.A. coordinates, as these will set earlier.

There are a few times where distances between objects were longer... but even here, I tried to make it doable by moving mostly in only R.A. or only in Declination.

I hope that you find this useful!

Suresh
Attachments
Messier Marathon Sweep List.xlsx
(24.19 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
jjones7777

Re: Messier Marathon - 2017 Weather update

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

Four days out, the weather looks iffy.

While the Canadians (Clear Sky Chart) won't predict until Thursday, both the Americans (NOAA) and the English (Clear Outside) are suggesting 'iffy'. Clear Outside is suggesting that there will be a decided break in the clouds between 7:00 pm and 1:00 am CDT; NOAA is predicting 35 to 40% cloud cover for all of Friday and Saturday evening (Clear Outside is in agreement w/ NOAA for Saturday). Typically, a >30% cloud cover is a deal breaker, but the Brit's prediction of CLEAR between 7p and 1a is intriguing. We'll keep watching...

All that being said, tonight is predicted to be mostly clear w/ little wind and WARM temps - lower 50s to upper 40s. The Canadians are predicting all nice blue boxes. Just sayin'...
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
magneton

Post by magneton »

Steve,
Thanks for your work on the BAD's Argo-Navis and the detailed pointers on operating it. Brandon and I are planning to use the BAD at the MM (weather permitting). Others are of course welcome to share its view of the sky.
Jim Knudsen

10" Dobsonian telescope
15x70 binoculars
Canon XSi and 70D DSLR's
150 mm Mak-Cassegrain with alt-az and CG-5 mounts
jjones7777

Re: Messier Marathon - 2017 - weather update

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

The weather forecast is looking a bit better for tomorrow night. The Canadians are predicting mostly nice blue boxes; the English are suggesting there will be lots of cirrus clouds, and NOAA is predicting 30% to 17% to 39% to 27% cloud cover for the evening/morning. Saturday looks worse. Betting people should be preparing for a star party tomorrow night; SERIOUS Messier Marathoners will no doubt be disappointed.

I'll update again tomorrow morning and make the call in the afternoon.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
darkskyjim

Post by darkskyjim »

Sureshks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm Hello everyone,

If it's helpful, I created a list of Messier objects by sweep order (see attached Excel file).

Starting with the elusive M74 right after dusk, I went in order of Object Set Time, with adjustments made to group objects by Constellation, R.A. or Declination, where ever it made sense to do so. The idea was to keep sweep distances between objects to a minimum, so you can be more efficient with your time. Objects further south are usually listed ahead of northern ones with similar R.A. coordinates, as these will set earlier.

There are a few times where distances between objects were longer... but even here, I tried to make it doable by moving mostly in only R.A. or only in Declination.

I hope that you find this useful!

Suresh
thanks, this is handy ;)
jim
Modified Z12 with Pegasus Optics
F5 mirror and custom base
10x50 Vixen binocular
7x50 Celestron Pro binocular
7x35 Mayflower binocular
heinerv

Post by heinerv »

You may see this message in several places, however, we need to warn people not to try to roll of the observatory roof. There is a broken bearing in the system that needs to be fixed. We are waiting to see if when the frost is gone that the building and roll off portion are back in alignment.
jjones7777

Re: Messier Marathon - ON FOR FRIDAY!

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

The Messier Marathon for tonight – Friday, March 31st – is ON. The weather forecast is not perfect and it will frustrate the serious Messier Marathoner, but should be good enough to want to be under the stars tonight - which is, really, what it's all about!

Here are the deets:
1. NOAA is predicting about 20% cloud coverage until early morning. Clear Sky Chart is suggesting clear until around 4:00 am; “Clear Outside” is suggesting high cirrus the entire evening. Be prepared for some potential disappointment.
2. The temps should be pretty decent – mid to lower 30s meaning: dress for mid to lower 10s.
3. There will be some wind – about 6 mph – enough to prepare for but not enough to make things difficult.
4. Humidity should not be a problem – 65% to 75% is predicted. Still, always bring your dew-heaters, just in case.

I'll be bringing extra Messier Marathon forms but not charts – bring your own charts. I'll also be bringing water, some goodies, and PRIZES. It may be a perfect night to bag 30 to 50 Messier objects.

The sun sets around 7:38 pm with astronomical twilight at 9:21 pm. I will plan to be at CGO near 6:45 pm. If you can bring any safety cones, please bring them so we can mark out the ankle-busting cattle holes.

See you tonight!!!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Kyle Nordstrom

Post by Kyle Nordstrom »

I'm glad to hear it, because I preemptively took the night off from work! See you all there!
"Tasco 'Zip' " 10x 50 Binoculars
"Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars"
"Celestron C6 SCT" Scratch that this actually just upgraded to a "Celestron C8 SCT"
"Starblast - 4.5 Inch Dobsonian Reflector Telescope"
Accessories: 1.25 in. 17MM Explorer, 6MM Explorer,9 and 20mm Orion Expanse, 32mm Sirius Plossl, 5MM Paradigm, 2x and 3x barlow
Mount: Celestron AVX, Astro-Tech Voyager 1 Alt-Az mount
MTBehnke

Post by MTBehnke »

If anyone is interesting in trying my Android app for Messier objects, I've added/updated a bunch of features since the first version a couple of weeks ago.

It's main feature is a list of all the Messier objects, including current altitude and azimuth. It sorts the list by altitude, starting with those setting. Clicking on any of them opens a detail page, including what page of PSA and OITH (Objects in the Heavens) the object can be found on. It also includes a constellation chart showing where each object is and the rise/set times. I also changed to dark background/light text to help with night vision.

Requires Android 4.4 (KitKat) or higher.

To download it from my website just use the browser on your phone or tablet:

http://mikesrv9a.com/files/MessierField ... a0.1.6.apk

It’s about 6.6MB, so should download pretty fast. From there you will hopefully be prompted to open the file. If not, you might have to find it in a downloads folder and launch it.

Because it’s not coming from the GooglePlay store, you will need to temporarily change one security setting, under Settings > Applications and check the “Unknown Sources” checkbox. My phone and tablet auto-prompted me prior to installing it and asked if I wanted to do this one time just for this app.

From there the app should install and launch. You might need to add the icon from the Apps folder to one of your pages. It’s called Messier Field Book.

Hopefully the app is pretty self-explanatory via the info page, and setting different lat/long. The code can be viewed at: https://github.com/MTBehnke/NightSkyGuide
omkar.bhujad

Post by omkar.bhujad »

I am coming too just to confirm .. it's at CHERY GROVE?? And if anyone going from mpls down town??
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Yes - it is at cherry grove. Glad you're coming!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
TrenaJ

Post by TrenaJ »

We are coming as well. Trena and Dave
Trena Johnson
MAS President 2023-2024
CGO Chairperson
JJC/CGO/ELO/LLCC Keyholder

AstroSky 14in f/4.9 Truss Dob
Orion StarSeeker IV 150mm GoTo Reflector
alt.blank

Post by alt.blank »

hey all... i'm planning on dropping by, without my telescope. just a meet and greet, after a very long time away from the hobby.

how long are you all planning on staying? i was thinking of getting there around 11.30pm and staying a few hours...
omkar.bhujad

Post by omkar.bhujad »

Any one going for observation tonight?? Either cherry grove or eagle lake??
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

It's a Public Star Party Night, at Eagle Lake.
jjones7777

Re: Messier Marathon - 2017 - final update

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

Congrats to all of you who attended the Messier Marathon last night. We had somewhere around 20 people in attendance - which is great! Lots of new members; lots of old members. Suresh Sreenivasan took first place w/ 53 Messiers - which is really quite good considering that the Brits were mostly right - we had fairly consistent high cirrus clouds the entire evening, except for about an hour around 12:30 pm when it cleared up considerably.

For those of you who kept track of your Messier count but didn't hand in your form - you can still do it. Scan it and pm it to me.

Keep in mind we have ANOTHER star party coming up next month - the Virgo Venture - which is scheduled for May 26/27 at Cherry Grove. Plan now to attend!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
merle

Post by merle »

Here's a link to some of the pictures I took prior to the marathon…

2017 Messier Marathon pictures

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
setnes

Post by setnes »

Thanks for posting those pictures! I really wish I could have been there.