Recent June B-SIG event and help requested

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

30salem

Recent June B-SIG event and help requested

Post by 30salem »

I would like to thank all of the experienced observers at Metcalf Field on Saturday evening for their conversations and occasional assistance with my inexperience. Thanks to Bernie S (the other Bernie in the Bernie corner), Clayton, Trena, Brendan and Suresh. These are only the names I can remember but everyone there was generous with their time, conversation and viewing opportunities. Juliana (my wife) lasted much longer than I expected due in great measure to the camaraderie and ease we both felt. I will say one of my most memorable experiences was showing a complete newbie Saturn in the telescope that I brought and hearing her glee at seeing the rings of Saturn with her own eyes! Very cool. This is a wonderful event and I will be back.

Now for the request, I have an 8" MAS loaner Dob and I'm pretty sure it needs collimating beyond my capabilities. The secondary mirror looked off so I "tried" to align it. It is in worse shape than it was. I would really appreciate a home call for a lesson in that as well as the primary mirror work. I live in Woodbury, north of Valley Creek and east of Woodbury drive. Or I can drive to you with the scope(s). (My 5" Newtonian may need help as well.) PM me if you have the time, inclination and ability.

Again, thanks for the event.

bernie
Bernie

Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Celestron 6SE (SCT)
Orion ST130 (Newtonian)
Revolution Imager 2
TrenaJ

Re: Recent June B-SIG event and help requested

Post by TrenaJ »

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife on Saturday. I am glad you were able to make it out on such a beautiful evening. Hearing newbies delights are one the most positive feedback we get when people come out to our events. It is a joy to share what we find with others.

As far as the scope. I will defer to others more capable. I haven't even collimated mine.
Trena Johnson
MAS President 2023-2024
CGO Chairperson
JJC/CGO/ELO/LLCC Keyholder

AstroSky 14in f/4.9 Truss Dob
Orion StarSeeker IV 150mm GoTo Reflector
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Bernie,

I have asked Clayton to reach out to you, as he lives in Woodbury, and is good at collimating scopes.

Thanks again!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

I live near Woodbury and I can stop by on Monday after work, or Wednesday (when it's supposed to be raining.....). I am pretty good at collimating Newtonian reflectors too.

Nancy
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
clayton

Post by clayton »

Bernie
Happy to hear you enjoyed the BSIG. It was good meeting you. Nancy sounds like she will cover your request. She will be much better at it than me. Thanks Nancy.
Clayton Lindsey
30salem

Post by 30salem »

Nancy,
That would be great. Tonight (Monday) works for me. Wednesday does as well, but the sooner the quicker.
I will PM you with my particulars.

Thanks to all of you.
bernie
Bernie

Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Celestron 6SE (SCT)
Orion ST130 (Newtonian)
Revolution Imager 2