Testing a new dob

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Starforce2

Testing a new dob

Post by Starforce2 »

Just finished testing my new dob. Ring nebula, m13, and ofcourse, Jupiter and Saturn. All wonderful looking, even despite the nearby streelights and yardlight on. Tube heat and someones nearby bonfire smoke cloud made saturn a bit grainy with a 6.5mm lense but otherwise things looked excellent.
wkocken

new dob

Post by wkocken »

So what kind of scope did you get? Tell us, please.
Bill
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

wkocken

new dob

Post by wkocken »

Very nice. I haven't seen one of the Intelliscopes in action yet. I have been a relatively stubborn non-computerized user, except when I'm in my light polluted neighborhood, or I'm tired, or when tranaparency is poor, or when I'm looking low to the horizon, or when I'm looking in an unfamiliar constellation, or when I'm using the 24" big dob... I think you get the drift.
Bill Kocken
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

lol. I don't have the compter crap for it yet. Going to have some fun without it for a while. Before jeffers however, I'll get one.
It will come in handy for outreach if i do more the the scouts again. Plus the heavys cope is ahrder for the kids to bump. That little 3 inch will move off a target if you sneeze on it.
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Congrats, Starforce! You're gonna love it! I ran a 10" dob for a few years and it still remains my all time favorite scope.
Jon Hickman
Mike Fischer

Post by Mike Fischer »

Starforce2 wrote:lol. I don't have the compter crap for it yet.
I just picked up the "computer crap" for our XT8. It worked slick even on a surface on which I couldn't get the base completely level. What I love about the Orion electronics is it isn't just an automated system. It is a "guidance" system. It is not motor driven and you can do the searching yourself getting to know the constellations on your own and then use the electronics to "help" you. (big help for newbys like me) I find this great fun in searching for some little jewels here and there and my 10-year-old son finds it great to follow the arrows and numbers and simply get the object in the viewfinder.

Mike
mlfj4901

Post by mlfj4901 »

Greetings,

Paul Walker and I were discussing this very topic at the AAS convention. There are many newbies (like me) who get frustrated because they can't find anything by just starhopping, because starhopping takes a lot of practice. Many just give up. With the PUSH TO and GO TO scopes you can see what you want. I especially like the idea of the PUSH TO's because you can use the computer when you want, and learn to starhop when you have the patience. It really is the best of both worlds.

-matt
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

SaVaGe5 wrote:
Starforce2 wrote:lol. I don't have the compter crap for it yet.
I just picked up the "computer crap" for our XT8. It worked slick even on a surface on which I couldn't get the base completely level. What I love about the Orion electronics is it isn't just an automated system. It is a "guidance" system. It is not motor driven and you can do the searching yourself getting to know the constellations on your own and then use the electronics to "help" you. (big help for newbys like me) I find this great fun in searching for some little jewels here and there and my 10-year-old son finds it great to follow the arrows and numbers and simply get the object in the viewfinder.

Mike
you by chance interested in going to the north dakota starparty?
Mike Fischer

Post by Mike Fischer »

[/quote]

you by chance interested in going to the north dakota starparty?[/quote]

No. Haven't been able to make it to a starparty anywhere yet. Hopefully will one of these weekends.