CGO 7/14

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

Enberg

CGO 7/14

Post by Enberg »

Weather looks good, but there is no official SP on the schedule for this weekend at CGO. I'm planning to be there Friday night, if the weather forecast comes true tomorrow! Observing H400 and double stars.

Nancy
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
Dave Venne

Re: CGO 7/14

Post by Dave Venne »

I was thinking the same thing, but dithering between Friday and Saturday night (Saturday's moon is a bit less bright and rises a half hour later). It's probably going to end up being a drive-time decision based on the satellite loop.
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

Maybe both nights if the weather is good. I also could do some lunar observing after moonrise......
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
setnes

Post by setnes »

I will be at Glacial Lakes State Park on Saturday. I don't think I can make it to CGO on Friday either, but I'll watch the weather... just in case. :)
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Vic and I are both thinking to go to CGO Friday night, assuming the forecasts remain good. We are planning to get some experience with the 16" LX200 and possibly with the 12" on the Mathis, if the A-P controller is back as of Friday.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
merle

Post by merle »

SEmert wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 pm We are planning to get some experience with the 16" LX200 and possibly with the 12" on the Mathis, if the A-P controller is back as of Friday.
I'll be there to install the control box for the Mathis mount tonight.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Even after looking at the loop, tonight's not iffy enough to pass up. Tomorrow night might have T-storms, but if it doesn't--it could be a weekend double header!
rzylka

Post by rzylka »

Wish I could join y'all but I am up north visiting with family and friends. Good thing we have a scope here. Have fun
Almericus

Post by Almericus »

We're watching the weather tonight. Laura, Dylan, and I might get out there this evening if it looks like it's going to clear up.
Brent Emery
10" Meade Starfinder Dob.
8" SCT/Advanced VX eq.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

It actually was a pretty good night Friday night until the moon rose. Dave Venne was imaging, Nancy Rauschenberg was working, I believe, on her Herschel 400 list, Jim Knudsen was using the BAD, others were there as well. The BAD, the 16" LX200, and the newly updated firmware and control box on the Mathis mount w/ A-P controller all worked well.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Here's the result of that imaging. Would have been better if not for losing 1/3 of my frames because of a guiding issue, and of course that nasty Moonlight. Probably going to try to add some light frames tonight to see if I can do better.

Rho_800.jpg
Rho_800_solved.jpg
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

Saturday night was a bonus night. There were 6 of us observing or imaging at CGO. I continue to check off more H400 objects and also double stars list. This weekend I got over 300 on my quest for 400!! I have now pretty much lost the rest for the season - I will need to wait until fall when the remaining sections of the sky will be visible in the early morning. I have H400 objects remaining in the winter Milky Way (Monoceros, Puppis) and early spring (Hydra, Lynx, Cancer) as well as a bunch of Virgo galaxies. In high summer, all this has set below the trees before it is dark enough to find them! I can now concentrate on double stars and a few stray Caldwell objects for the rest of the summer, as well as the upcoming eclipse!
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Another fine night last night (7/16), five people in attendance, four imaging and one working globs.

Some lost and FOUND: Two items in the grass just beyond the end of the old BAD runway: A Celestron binocular mount thingy, and a finder scope cap (see picture). Both items are now on the table in the warming house waiting to be picked up.

LAF.jpg
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

7/16: The end of a great weekend! I shot a lot of extra light frames for the Rho Ophiuchi image I started on 7/14, and at the end of the night took a quick shot of the good old Lagoon area. 10 x 4 min, 200mm FL at f5.6, modded Canon T2i. Uncropped, scaled for forum.

LagoonFinal_800.jpg
LagoonFinal_800_PS.jpg

I'm hoping that the Nebraska Star Party will be just as great as this weekend was!
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Great photos Dave.
Almericus

Post by Almericus »

Those are ours. My son was running around with the binoculars and must have dropped them out of the case. We'll grab them the next time we're down. Thank you!
Brent Emery
10" Meade Starfinder Dob.
8" SCT/Advanced VX eq.