August BSIG -- Friday Aug. 11th at Metcalf Nature Center

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

August BSIG -- Friday Aug. 11th at Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The August BSIG event will be on Friday August 11th at Metcalf. It will start at 8:00pm.

There is no charge, and all are welcome to join us!! The purpose is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions, and to show you celestial objects.

We typically get about 40-60 people attending these events, and there will be telescopes set up of all shapes and sizes!

We'll have enough telescopes and observing gear on hand for everyone to look through. But if you have a telescope or binoculars -- bring them!! The more the merrier.

And if you've got a telescope you need help with, bring it with you and we'd be happy to show you how to set up and use it!

The Moon does not rise till after midnight, so we should have several hours of Moonless sky. Weather permitting, we will view Jupiter, Saturn and the Summer Milky Way!

If you'd like to join us, please bring a lawn chair or blanket. Also bring a snack or beverage to share. Last month, we had a yummy assortment of goodies for everyone to sample -- it made for a really fun night!

Directions to Metcalf: (see this Google Maps link for directions to Metcalf -- it's from the West metro but it works for the the East too): https://goo.gl/maps/hbw2dbQyUgq)

Head east from St. Paul along Hwy. 94. About four miles east of the I-694 / I-494 crossing is Minnesota State Highway 95, also known as Manning Avenue (exit 253). Turn south (right turn) and then almost immediately turn left onto the frontage road (Hudson Road S). Continue east on the frontage road for about one and one-half miles. Turn right onto Indian Trail, checking the odometer as you turn. Follow Indian Trail south for just about one and one-tenth miles, where you’ll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right (west side of the road), opening onto a dirt driveway with slight up-slope. This is the the entrance to Metcalf.

If you haven't been to Metcalf, it can be little difficult to find the entrance in the dark, so please try to arrive with some daylight left...

The Metcalf observing site is located 14 miles east of downtown St. Paul. If you've got a GPS unit, here are the precise coordinates: Latitude: 44.93734 (North) / Longitude: 92.82157 (West)

If you're planning to come, please e-mail me at sureshks1@msn.com so I can keep you updated on any plan changes. I will check the weather forecast on Thursday Aug. 9th. If the forecast turns bad for that night, we may need to cancel. I will also update this thread on the B-SIG Forum page...

We hope to see you!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
FF2Rydia

Re: August BSIG -- Friday Aug. 11th at Metcalf Nature Center

Post by FF2Rydia »

Don't forget about Perseid viewing.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Yes, of course!! The Perseid meteor shower peaks the following night. But it should still be strong this night too. One of the main reasons I moved it to this weekend...

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

As of now, the forecast for the night of Friday August 11th is looking pretty good.

I hope to see everyone out at Metcalf for another fun BSIG night!!

Let's plan on meeting at 8:00pm. Sunset isn't until 8:27pm, and with the 81% lit Moon not rising until around 11pm, we'll have a few hours of Moonless sky! Later on, after midnight, the Perseid meteor shower will put on a show!!!

If you've got a scope, bring it!! Our volunteers would be happy to help you learn how to set up and use it. If you don't have one... we'll have plenty of scopes available to show you the sky.

Observing highlights include Jupiter, Saturn, and assorted deep sky objects -- globular and open star clusters and nebulae associated with the summer Milky Way... and some galaxies too!

Here is some information on Metcalf Field, including directions:

http://www.mnastro.org/facilities/metcalf/

I will update this Forum once again this Thursday late-afternoon with the final Go/No Go once I see the Friday forecasts...

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

WilliamWood

Post by WilliamWood »

Suresh, my wife Caroline and I are planning to be there...hoping for some good skies for the Perseids!
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Bill,

Excellent, I'll see you there!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

I just wanted to say a special thank you to everyone that made it out to Metcalf last night for the August B-SIG event. That was probably the largest crowd that we've had in the two years it's been held there. I'm going to say that the count was above 60, perhaps closer to 70 or 80 people.

A lot of people brought telescopes, which was GREAT!! I lost count, but there might've been more than 25 telescopes set up, of all shapes and sizes. There were at least two recently purchased scopes, and this was their first time out with their new gear!

What I really liked was how people helped each other. Veterans helping newbies, newbies helping newbies... it was really neat to see!

On a dewy, moderately clear evening, everyone got to see Saturn and some deep sky objects before the Moon came up around 11pm. And the goodie table was stacked with yummy treats... A good time was had by all!

We'll do this again next month... most likely on Friday Sept. 8th. Stay tuned!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

This was my first B-SIG Star Party and I had a great time! Such a fun, enthusiastic group! Thank you for hosting and giving us a great education on all the different telescopes. My new scope arrived last week but now I'm already thinking about buying an upgrade :)
Looking forward to the next Star Party!

Stephanie :)
MaryW_MN

Post by MaryW_MN »

Also my first B-SIG and I learned a lot from a variety of folks! Thanks to everyone who patiently answered questions and provided such interesting information about the telescopes and the awesome heavenly objects. I'm looking forward to the next B-SIG and attending other MAS star parties.

Mary W.
White Bear Lake, MN

Celestron 5" 130SLT
undoubtedly more to come.....