Metcalf - Musings on its future

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

O. Lookit

Metcalf - Musings on its future

Post by O. Lookit »

Some great ideas have surfaced since the expansion of the usable space due to tree clearing in 2016. And with the donation of the 12.5" Dob, discussion has advanced to perhaps having a dedicated slab and 'Dog House' structure for this scope so that scope is always in a state of readiness. The additional space almost also begs for constructing some 5'x5' pads as the old ones are out of position. Electrical outlets in these new locations makes some sense.

I want you to know I'm on board with you as we explore options. But also, realize there are monies to be spent and permission to be sought as MAS members are guests of the Belwin Conservancy and subject to a Memorandum of Understanding (currently being negotiated). There will be costs which must be approved in advance through our own MAS channels...and perhaps not all spending can be done in same fiscal year. The actual tree clearing came to fruition quickly due to some quirky things happening simultaneously. In particular were some specific financial gifts received to help MAS pay for the clearing (facilitating less budget stress). We may not be able to operate with the same expediency going forward.

I suggest we approach this more slowly and establish a listing of priorities for the site. And as I read back on previous thoughts in the BSIG forum, I can see that your thought processes are ahead of mine.(My fault not yours). So I'm now thinking with our loftier goals, that a Metcalf Committee be established to distill all of this info into thoughtful logical proposals. I certainly envision the BSIG to be represented within the Committee as this Summer's large patronage of Metcalf is due to Suresh's monthly group star parties. Beyond that, I personally need backup. Many of you know I'm a recent widower - that I'm wanting to downsize my home and move more towards the metro area.

I'll get approval from MAS for a committee formation...then ask for volunteers. BTW, as a temporary solution for housing the 12.5" scope, I'd be happy to keep at my home over the winter...probably in an unheated environment, but secure anyway. Thanks ! Tom
cmac7203

Re: Metcalf - Musings on its future

Post by cmac7203 »

Tom,

I'm so sorry for you loss. Please don't hesitate to reach out. I will gladly be backup to you. Feel,free to contact me directly. 6512698078
Celestron 9.25
Meade 826C
Orion Astroview 100
Celston C5
iOptron AZ Mount Pro
Canon 600D
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Tom,

I too am sorry for your loss...

Sign me up to help out as a BSIG member of the Metcalf Committee. I'm thinking that this is the proper thing for me to do, given what we are discussing here. I am willing to help out with these efforts in any way I can.

I view Metcalf perhaps a little differently than some. I see the value of making use of the MAS's first ever observing field. There's a historical connectivity there that I do not want our club to lose. And you can see from the size of the BSIG crowds that this field is not done serving a purpose. I grew up observing in the Chicago suburbs, and learned early that you don't always need the darkest location to do some serious observing. And, you do not necessarily need huge and costly equipment to do so either. The main thing is to get out there... and the proximity of this field to St. Paul makes it highly desirable to a lot of people.

As discussed, let's try to move forward on new concrete pads, centrally-located AC power and an observatory to house the wonderful 12.5" NGT. I understand that it may take a long while to realize all of these goals.

And thank you for your willingness to store the NGT over the winter. Clayton was going to house it. But it would be better to keep it more local... at least while you're still willing and able to host it.

Let me know of any next steps.

Best regards,

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
TrenaJ

Post by TrenaJ »

HI Tom,
Losing someone we hold dear is always difficult, I am here for you. Whatever you need, give me a shout! 6127190737

A Metcalf committee sounds wonderful, COUNT ME IN. I have a fondness for the location, plus it's closer to my house than ELO is. If you need any help out there, I can give you a hand or two.

Thank you for your willingness to store the JMI "Sven" over the winter. I feel better knowing it will be looked after by a human instead of the spiders.

See you soon!
Trena Johnson
MAS President 2023-2024
CGO Chairperson
JJC/CGO/ELO/LLCC Keyholder

AstroSky 14in f/4.9 Truss Dob
Orion StarSeeker IV 150mm GoTo Reflector
O. Lookit

Post by O. Lookit »

Charlie, Trena and others,

I fear I"ve mis-conveyed my widower status by using term 'recent.' It's been 2 1/2 years and I'm doing fine (it just kinda seems recent to me.) But I do thank you for your sincere thoughts, and I'm emotionally strong again. Other MAS members have spoken to me to as well for which I'm grateful.

Am waiting to meet with Belwin staffer this week to see what if any ideas they have ... or resources available. I'm particularly interested in salvaging the existing slabs at the S. fence line...and moving them over to N side. They're 5'x5,' which if placed adjacent, could perhaps form the new base for the 'dog house' enclosure for the 12.5". (If in fact it was built after approval by Belwin). I do think the scope should always go to a member's home during winter, however...for security if nothing else.

Thanks Trena for offering to be on Committee as your thoughts would be useful /appreciated. I'll take it up with the Committee Chairman (Holy Smokes...that's me) :)
cmac7203

Post by cmac7203 »

I too would like to serve on a committee if it would help.
Celestron 9.25
Meade 826C
Orion Astroview 100
Celston C5
iOptron AZ Mount Pro
Canon 600D
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

O. Lookit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:16 pm I fear I"ve mis-conveyed my widower status by using term 'recent.' It's been 2 1/2 years and I'm doing fine (it just kinda seems recent to me.)
I lost Dad 4 years ago, and THAT seems recent to me, so I think you're still OK with it.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
cmac7203

Post by cmac7203 »

Agreed. I would still be a basket case after 2.5 years. I've been married 36 years...I can't even imagine what my life would look like without Donna.
Celestron 9.25
Meade 826C
Orion Astroview 100
Celston C5
iOptron AZ Mount Pro
Canon 600D
O. Lookit

Post by O. Lookit »

Hi to you all,

MAS officers have decided to keep the newly formed Metcalf Committee at just a few members, and so I've accepted Suresh's offer to join as committee needs the insights of the BSIG. This is not to say that Trena J's and Charlie M's offering to be members wasn't appreciated. You guys are great to step up and committee still needs your thoughts directly to me or through Suresh...some of which are already known.

Hope to see all of you soon.
cmac7203

Post by cmac7203 »

Okee dokee.
Celestron 9.25
Meade 826C
Orion Astroview 100
Celston C5
iOptron AZ Mount Pro
Canon 600D